Google rolls out +1 button for websites

By Emil
Jun 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google today released the +1 button to the whole Web. You should thus start seeing the +1 button appear on various sites all over the Internet.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Well I'm sure someone is going to have fun making a +1 bot to bump their website to the top pages.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 877   +80

+1 interwenbz 4 u!

@Princeton, I am sure there will be some system put in place to overcome this, if there isn't already ;)
  4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 322   +18

Sure go ahead and mess with google. That's an easy way to get your site instantly banned.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,889   +609

@ Princeton - they'll check your IP and only count your vote once. Of course, any internet user in China uses a service that scrambles IPs hundreds of times a minute to avoid the govt firewalls, so maybe that won't work.

They're doing this because google's search capabilities are very limited when it comes to preference. Google excels at finding general facts, but is terrible at recommending a new car that you'd like. But your facebook account would be much better at it, and google knows this. They know that facebook contains a TON of data about what you like and are interested in, and that's advertising gold. Since FB and google pretty much hate each other, google needs another way to access (or build up) the same data.
  6. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

And of course we ?Techspot? just added the +1 button on our story pages. So you know feel free to '1-up' any story you like ;)
  7. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 668   +22

Hmm I dont want to do google any favours by pressing it.
  8. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 278

in short, no we don't want it
  9. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,568   +47

There has to be a slight smell of abuse here....but then i agree, Google will probably have some sort of system in place.

I can't see IP tracking working due to the easy ways there are round that sort of thing.

*+1 Clicked*
  10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,443   +269

Personally I find these many buttons annoying, that's why we try to tone them down on TechSpot. That said, it's inevitable to have them when the competition are promoting themselves on all major social networks and now Google.
  11. mario

I can vouch for Julio when he says he dislikes all these social widgets. But the truth is they can be very rewarding and here at TechSpot when we use them we try to position them in a way that is not annoying or obtrusive to the users.

And by the way `+1ing` a story about `+1` is so meta :p haha
  12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

"you must be signed into your Google Account"

It must be a massive struggle the read the article ALL THE WAY THROUGH…
  13. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

"Click here to +1 this as [NAME] ()" Pretty good bot protection I'd say.

14. I don't understand the purpose of this? Google already tracks what results you click and tie them to your search term, isn't that already a plus one in itself?
  15. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

People will make bots to create spam accounts and 1-up multiple sites. There's a reason techspot gets the odd user with the name a name like IG8R29IOK who tells us about an amazing new auction site in the worst possible English. People can make programs to make an account,1-up multiple sites and repeat.
  16. mario

From what I understand +1 won't help any page ranking on Google, +1'ed links will only appear if you search for something and a friend has +1'ed a story related to your search.
  17. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,988   +66

For usage of just one feature I am not interested to create an Google account, so +1 is pretty much irrelevant for me. But then again, I don't have any account on Facecook so it doesn't matter anyway.
  18. r8bwp

r8bwp Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

If it helps improve my googles searches rather than getting crap that that i`m not after, i`m in! CLICK!
  19. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,568   +47

Surly then, thinking more about the words you put into Google will actually overcome the '+1' in the first place.

I mean, I can't ever think of a big generic search i did where the page i wanted was so far back in Google that i'de never find it. It's looking more like -1 for the +1 now.
  20. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

@Princeton: It says you see what YOUR CONTACTS have bumped up.

@Everyone else + Princeton: Is it THAT hard to read not using caps?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.