Google rolls out 'simpler, cleaner' search results page

By Jos
Nov 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has unveiled a new design for its search results page that gives more real estate to its Knowledge Graph results and makes the look and feel on desktop computers consistent with those on smartphones and tablets. In a nutshell,...

Read more
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,272   +258

I'm having a really hard time finding an option for exact dimensions on the image search now though.
    avoidz likes this.
  3. I don't like having to click "More" and then "News" to do a News search! Surely News is searched more frequently than Blogs, which appears in the header. And then to get the most current news I must click More, then Search Tools, then select Past hour or Past 24 hours from a drop down menu. It's all very inconvenient. At least make News one of the header options.
    psycros likes this.
  4. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

If my preferences can't be saved to a cookie or my Google profile, then this is yet another example of web design moving backwards. This obsession with hiding every control or element the user interfaces with is ridiculous.
    avoidz likes this.
  5. Larry Kim

Larry Kim Newcomer, in training

The new google search page also makes ads more prominent, and canalizes Organic Searches - http://bit.ly/YIVtBw
  6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 885   +39

You're right, I don't see it anymore. It was there on the left side yesterday, and now it's gone from the top in the new interface. I ended up using the "large" option and specifying the image size in the search box.
  7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,511   +308

I like how the new design is cleaner, however I agree with the above, if you want to use filters it takes more clicks to get there. Google being Google has likely arithmetically optimized based on the number of people that use the different options on-screen and (drum roll) what produces better results for their ads and possibly for showing off the "Knowledge Graph" sidebar.
  8. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,091   +223

You looking for google news ? Is this what you're looking for ? https://news.google.com/
  9. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

I don't want everything to be "consistent with those on smartphones and tablets." I want a desktop version that has all the options I need to quickly get the results I want. You know, like the original Google used to. Web design in general is indeed getting worse, IMO. Smartphones and tablets are useful, but they are destroying the desktop experience.
  10. Aguchi

Aguchi Newcomer, in training

I'm with google chrome so I haven't noticed anything different?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.