Google Russia files for bankruptcy after authorities seize bank account

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The Russian subsidiary of Google will file for bankruptcy after authorities seized its bank account, leaving the company unable to meet financial obligations, including paying staff, suppliers, and vendors. However, its free services, such as search and YouTube, will keep operating in the country.

Reuters reports that the Alphabet unit has been under pressure in Russia for a while, but the invasion of Ukraine has seen authorities escalate the situation. Since then, Google has suspended all advertising in the country, banned state-run media channels from YouTube, and refused to remove content relating to the war that Russia deemed illegal, which led to Google News being banned.

"The Russian authorities seizure of Google Russia's bank account has made it untenable for our Russia office to function, including employing and paying Russia-based employees, paying suppliers and vendors, and meeting other financial obligations," a Google spokesperson said. "Google Russia has published a notice of its intention to file for bankruptcy."

Russia fined Google 7.2 billion roubles, around $98 million, in December for failing to remove content authorities deemed illegal. More recently, a Russian TV channel owned by a sanctioned billionaire claimed authorities seized 1 billion roubles (about $15 million) from Google in April for failing to restore access to its YouTube account.

A message on Russia's official registry Fedresurs states that the Google subsidiary intended to declare bankruptcy and since March 22 has foreseen its "inability to fulfill its monetary obligations."

According to The Wall Street Journal, most of Google's Russian employees have opted to leave the country and continue working for Google outside of Russia, with many ending up in Dubai, though some did decide to stay in Russia and leave the company.

Unlike Facebook and Instagram, Russia isn't banning Google services in the country. "People in Russia rely on our services to access quality information and we'll continue to keep free services such as Search, YouTube, Gmail, Maps, Android and Play available," a Google spokesperson said.

Google's Russian subsidiary employed over 100 workers and made 134.3 billion roubles in Russia in 2021. That's around $2.6 billion, or 1% of Alphabet's global revenue.

Permalink to story.

Russia, the new North Korea, for the XXI century.
Russia, unlike North Korea is rich in resources (energy) , has a nuclear armed air force, a nuclear armed Navy and enough nuclear ballistic missiles to ensure that it will never be marginalized or "Cancelled".

The neocons in America were able to roll over poorly armed, small insignificant countries with marginally effective air forces.

Russia and China aren't having any of that.

The American neocons who attempted to "Cancel" Russia have only sent their own corporations that did business in Russia into a tailspin.

Whether it's Apple shutting down the App store in Russia, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Google, etc shutting down in Russia...the reality is, most of these goods, products and services are things Russia really doesn't need. Does Russia need diabetes and females with social media depression? Even China has made moves to decouple from America's dollar, social media and other "services" to prevent the decline of their population's productivity.

They can decouple from American corporations and focus on having their own internet services, smartphones, etc - using China to help them.

The globalist's takeover has essentially been thwarted by their own shortsightedness. Now: the new word to be used is "protectionism".

The American neocons who attempted to "Cancel" Russia have only sent their own corporations that did business in Russia into a tailspin.

Whether it's Apple shutting down the App store in Russia, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Google, etc shutting down in Russia...the reality is, most of these goods, products and services are things Russia really doesn't need. Does Russia need diabetes and females with social media depression? Even China has made moves to decouple from America's dollar, social media and other "services" to prevent the decline of their population's productivity.

They can decouple from American corporations and focus on having their own internet services, smartphones, etc - using China to help them.

The globalist's takeover has essentially been thwarted by their own shortsightedness. Now: the new word to be used is "protectionism".
Pepsi didn't leave Russia yet: I am enjoying one made in April!

The leaving of Intel and AMD is one the few things really damaging us here to a certain point.

Pepsi didn't leave Russia yet: I am enjoying one made in April!

The leaving of Intel and AMD is one the few things really damaging us here to a certain point.

Pepsi has been sold in Russia since Khrushchev. If Pepsi managed to sell in the USSR during the heights of the Cold War, they'll probably keep selling it during Putin's reign.

Pepsi has been sold in Russia since Khrushchev. If Pepsi managed to sell in the USSR during the heights of the Cold War, they'll probably keep selling it during Putin's reign.
Since I am a great Pepsi fan, that's very good news. Only the sugarless version anyway.

Western and not only American companies will do just fine without being in Russia. There are plenty of countries that can produce vodka, and still nyet to Lada. We will learn how to get past China as we are currently doing. You point out that nuclear weapons are the way forward to Russia's survival (really? the US has an arsenal too. Let's see who wins.). It's also laughable to say Russia and China can have their internet (think about that for a minute, try intranet); how will they handle their censorship/propaganda - Sino/Soviet Standoff?

Western and not only American companies will do just fine without being in Russia.

Western companies prostitute themselves for the Chinese market, what makes you think that "the west is enough for them"?

There are plenty of countries that can produce vodka, and still nyet to Lada.

Suposedly, Russia is a major supplier of raw materials, not necessarily final products: try palladium for your memory chips, oil and gas for your energy needs, or fertilizers to grow your food (among other things). Even if those things can be replaced with new sources, by removing the Russians, you shrink the offer, which means that you'll effectively rising the prices.

We will learn how to get past China as we are currently doing.

That would be a great thing. Not sure who's "getting past China" though (China owns most of the world economy, the part that matters).

You point out that nuclear weapons are the way forward to Russia's survival (really? the US has an arsenal too. Let's see who wins.).

No one? On a nuclear war, no one wins, write that down on your mirror, so you revisit it every day.

It's also laughable to say Russia and China can have their internet (think about that for a minute, try intranet); how will they handle their censorship/propaganda - Sino/Soviet Standoff?

There's no "private Internet"; by definition the Internet is the inter-connection of the world's networks. If you do a subset of that, then well... you'll have a "network" (with some name, I presume). What China has is control over the access to the Internet (and every country out there, apparently, check the newly formed "Ministry of Disinformation/Truth" in the DHS), which means that they can "select" which sites you can access and which ones are "misinformation" (I'm pretty sure that's what the CCP in China calls whatever they don't like). It's the same Internet, same infrastructure, same everything but with roadblocks.

Since I am a great Pepsi fan, that's very good news. Only the sugarless version anyway.
Are they even allowed to sell you that corn fructose crap or is it all real sugar or even in glass bottles? Hell I'd pay for Russian Pepsi in a glass bottle over the plastic bottle corn fructose stuff they make in the states.

Last edited:
Are they even allowed to sell you that corn fructose crap or is it all real sugar or even in glass bottles? Hell I'd pay for Russian Pepsi in a glass bottle over the plastic bottle corn fructose stuff they make in the states.
The same plastic crap, but the taste of the sugarless Pepsi Max is excellent.

I did try Pepsi Max for a while but decided I preferred just to cut back on the amount of soda I drink and just opt for the best I could get - real sugar in glass bottles - which Pepsi does occasionally do but seems to follow the McRib strategy of bringing it back and taking it away again for reasons that defy human knowledge. Only non-US countries seem to consistently do sugar in glass year-round, which means I have to find someone able to import it.

I did try Pepsi Max for a while but decided I preferred just to cut back on the amount of soda I drink and just opt for the best I could get - real sugar in glass bottles - which Pepsi does occasionally do but seems to follow the McRib strategy of bringing it back and taking it away again for reasons that defy human knowledge. Only non-US countries seem to consistently do sugar in glass year-round, which means I have to find someone able to import it.
did you try one from the EU ? I don't know for this thing but a lot of what you are using in your foods are banned in the EU , so maybe russia too, this may have the taste you're looking for

Russia, unlike North Korea is rich in resources (energy) , has a nuclear armed air force, a nuclear armed Navy and enough nuclear ballistic missiles to ensure that it will never be marginalized or "Cancelled".

The neocons in America were able to roll over poorly armed, small insignificant countries with marginally effective air forces.

Russia and China aren't having any of that.
Russia has a lot of cold weather and vodka. They use the vodka to give excuses for committing atrocities: "we were too drunk".

Unlike North Korea, Russia will continue being the most hated country on the planet and no emergency infusion of money by their central bank will save the economy from the west's attacks. Not even being China's dog will save their economy.

I don't get how you can lick both Putin's and Xi's ***.

Last edited:
Western companies prostitute themselves for the Chinese market, what makes you think that "the west is enough for them"?

Suposedly, Russia is a major supplier of raw materials, not necessarily final products: try palladium for your memory chips, oil and gas for your energy needs, or fertilizers to grow your food (among other things). Even if those things can be replaced with new sources, by removing the Russians, you shrink the offer, which means that you'll effectively rising the prices.

That would be a great thing. Not sure who's "getting past China" though (China owns most of the world economy, the part that matters).

No one? On a nuclear war, no one wins, write that down on your mirror, so you revisit it every day.

There's no "private Internet"; by definition the Internet is the inter-connection of the world's networks. If you do a subset of that, then well... you'll have a "network" (with some name, I presume). What China has is control over the access to the Internet (and every country out there, apparently, check the newly formed "Ministry of Disinformation/Truth" in the DHS), which means that they can "select" which sites you can access and which ones are "misinformation" (I'm pretty sure that's what the CCP in China calls whatever they don't like). It's the same Internet, same infrastructure, same everything but with roadblocks.
Western consumers, not companies, drive the demand.
Rising prices? What is your point? Do you suddenly want cheap consumer products, like the goods from China? BTW, in a nuclear war where no one wins, you = master of the obvious.
You can't have it both ways. Private Internet is called an intranet. An intranet is a computer network for sharing information, easier communication, collaboration tools, operational systems, and other computing services within an organized network, usually to the exclusion of access by outsiders (you).

Canada uses sugar cane from Cuba.

There is still Coca-Cola around, from February and March. The expiry data is August and September, respectively.
The expiry date on Coke, (and most other soft drinks), is sort of moot.; They\re still drinkable long after it. However, the cans, at least in my experience, leak like a sieve at some point after expiration, which causes major problems. It's probably a combination of too thin cans, wear through of protective coatings, and the high phosphoric acid content of cola products.
To my taste, Pepsi is pure swill, undrinkable. But then, I freely admit that I've. been hooked on Coke since childhood. I find Pepsi to be sickeningly sweet. Of course, YRMV..

Pepsi went on a competitive rampage decades ago here, forcing exclusivity deals on many businesses, particularly local pizza shops. Which prompted many, many, memes, in many foreign accents, "no Coke, Pepsi", by the buying public.

"And the duck came down". (******* ****).

My favorite skit on SNL* was Dan Ackroyd & Jane Curtin, "Point Counterpoint": (As one might expect).

* Original cast

Last edited:
Back