Google selects 34 cities for possible Google Fiber expansion

By Shawn Knight
Feb 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has sent out formal invitations to nearly three dozen cities in nine metro areas across the country to explore what it would take to build fiber-optic networks in those communities. A number of the cities in question petitioned Google...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 770   +154

What about the UK... Google could earn more here then they could in the US due to the fact that the UK ISP's are like what 50yrs behind in tech...
    jackal2687, hopgop1 and H3llion like this.
  3. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 437   +70

I live in Austin but of course my suburb is outside of Google's exact area of choice.
  4. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TechSpot Member Posts: 46

Look at that... all around my state on the east coast... betcha cant guess which one I live in... guess it's time to move up north...
  5. No competition in the Philly metro area.....Comcast would fight that buildout harder then Verizon FIOS buildout the last 3 years.

It's terrible. Prices are the worst.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,889   +609

Not my city either... but at least they're not all in California. :)
  7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +229

Yes!!! We're in the running!!!
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 784   +85

9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +71

Wishing you guys luck if you're city's one of these on the list of candidates!
  10. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 869   +285

Nice to see metro Atlanta getting some more fiber consideration. They'll have a tough time fighting the cable companies, though. Gigabit at $70/mo means high end customer will be telling local cable internet providers to get lost faster than a bat in a wind farm.
  11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 784   +85

true. unless decent bundles come up, people might start dropping the internet services
  12. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Come to the dark continent: Africa! (heh see what I did there? :p )
  13. Chase_Daddy

Chase_Daddy Newcomer, in training

Where is Las Vegas at? Google forgot to invite the entertainment capitol of the world......

14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,210   +524

Only 50 years behind? The problem we have in South Africa is that if one of the farmers forgets to close his gates we all loose comms.
  15. richalone442

richalone442 Newcomer, in training Posts: 24   +8

Google Fiber, please come to Indianapolis, Brighthouse and Comcast are raping us.
    jackal2687 likes this.
  16. Neojt

Neojt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 131   +6

Common CANADA is the place to go!! we are getting ripped off by isp's here
  17. How about Hamilton ON Canada???? We sure as hell need this esp with the BS monopolies run by our main providers like HELL Canada!
  18. Understatement of the millennium!
  19. North_Dakota

North_Dakota TechSpot Member

The main reason they are doing it in the US s to spur the competition on. While no-one can prove it and the government doesn't want to do anything about it the the American internet providers were operating as a big cartel not to spend the money rolling out fibre optics.

Virgin media has already done that over here and so did BT I believe.
  20. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 770   +154

Ye but We are still years behind, 100mb down = 10mb up, US internet is miles better 100mb=100mb in both ways.
  21. GreenArrow

GreenArrow Newcomer, in training

We need you here in Detroit may be you can save us. please hurry.
  22. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 743   +14

Just put up wifi towers and do it countrywide.
  23. jackal2687

jackal2687 Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

Having lived in the UK for three years I would agree with you. The only time my internet was bearable was when I lived 3 houses away from the relay station.
    wastedkill likes this.
  24. Are you insane? 100mbps down-10mbps up is 50 yrs behind and you need an upgrade? LOL!
    here in greece, im happy that I can reach 6-7mbps down and not above 80kbps up........ -.- brat.
    jackal2687 likes this.
  25. jackal2687

jackal2687 Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

Maybe they were the speeds you mentioned in London, but I assure you, it got much much worse abroad. Although 6-7 mbps seems pretty miserable.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.