Google selects 34 cities for possible Google Fiber expansion

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has sent out formal invitations to nearly three dozen cities in nine metro areas across the country to explore what it would take to build fiber-optic networks in those communities. A number of the cities in question petitioned Google for the service in 2010 but as we know, only a small handful were approved for the buildout.

In a blog post on the matter, Google VP of Access Services Milo Medin said the 34 cities that have received invites are as follows:

Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe in Arizona; San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Palo Alto in California; Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs and Smyrna in Georgia; Charlotte, Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville and Raleigh, North Carolina; Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, Lake Oswego and Tigard, Oregon; Nashville-Davidson, Tennessee; San Antonio, Texas and Salt Lake City, Utah.

Naturally, all of these cities won’t make the cut. Instead, the search giant said they aim to provide updates by the end of the year about which cities will be getting Google Fiber. Between now and then, Google will work closely with each city’s leaders on a joint planning process.

Google currently offers Fiber as part of a cable and Internet bundle priced at $120 per month, just the Internet for $70 each month and as part of a free service at a slower speed. It’s unclear at this hour if that same business model will carry over to new markets, however.

Permalink to story.

I live in Austin but of course my suburb is outside of Google's exact area of choice.

Look at that... all around my state on the east coast... betcha cant guess which one I live in... guess it's time to move up north...

No competition in the Philly metro area.....Comcast would fight that buildout harder then Verizon FIOS buildout the last 3 years.

It's terrible. Prices are the worst.

Nice to see metro Atlanta getting some more fiber consideration. They'll have a tough time fighting the cable companies, though. Gigabit at $70/mo means high end customer will be telling local cable internet providers to get lost faster than a bat in a wind farm.

Nice to see metro Atlanta getting some more fiber consideration. They'll have a tough time fighting the cable companies, though. Gigabit at $70/mo means high end customer will be telling local cable internet providers to get lost faster than a bat in a wind farm.
true. unless decent bundles come up, people might start dropping the internet services

What about the UK... Google could earn more here then they could in the US due to the fact that the UK ISP's are like what 50yrs behind in tech...
Only 50 years behind? The problem we have in South Africa is that if one of the farmers forgets to close his gates we all loose comms.

How about Hamilton ON Canada???? We sure as hell need this esp with the BS monopolies run by our main providers like HELL Canada!

What about the UK... Google could earn more here then they could in the US due to the fact that the UK ISP's are like what 50yrs behind in tech...
The main reason they are doing it in the US s to spur the competition on. While no-one can prove it and the government doesn't want to do anything about it the the American internet providers were operating as a big cartel not to spend the money rolling out fibre optics.

Virgin media has already done that over here and so did BT I believe.

The main reason they are doing it in the US s to spur the competition on. While no-one can prove it and the government doesn't want to do anything about it the the American internet providers were operating as a big cartel not to spend the money rolling out fibre optics.

Virgin media has already done that over here and so did BT I believe.

Ye but We are still years behind, 100mb down = 10mb up, US internet is miles better 100mb=100mb in both ways.

Having lived in the UK for three years I would agree with you. The only time my internet was bearable was when I lived 3 houses away from the relay station.

Are you insane? 100mbps down-10mbps up is 50 yrs behind and you need an upgrade? LOL!
here in greece, im happy that I can reach 6-7mbps down and not above 80kbps up........ -.- brat.

Are you insane? 100mbps down-10mbps up is 50 yrs behind and you need an upgrade? LOL!
here in greece, im happy that I can reach 6-7mbps down and not above 80kbps up........ -.- brat.
Maybe they were the speeds you mentioned in London, but I assure you, it got much much worse abroad. Although 6-7 mbps seems pretty miserable.

Back