TechSpot

Google sets new Internet traffic record, now at 6.4 percent

By Emil
Oct 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Google's properties have gained 1 percent of worldwide Internet traffic share since January (a new record). The search giant is now averaging at 6.4 percent of all Internet traffic, according to Arbor Networks. While Internet traffic continues to surge overall (by an estimate of between 40 to 45 percent each year), Google continues to grow faster than the average.

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

Google: "The same thing we do every night, lawfer—try to take over the world!"

3. stensland

stensland TS Rookie Posts: 65

I don't know if we should be concerned about how big Google is getting or congratulatory. Yes it's a huge milestone for the search provider, but at the same time it is quickly becoming a company that is "too big to fail." If they were to through some sort of black magic go south of the black and into the red would we be forced to bail them out just like the banks? I mean, no longer are they just a humble search provider, they are working on their own automobiles, operating system, and who knows what else.

4. alinsaviuc

alinsaviuc TS Rookie

I love Google

5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 959   +49

@lawfer: "Do or do not, there is no try." Alarmists and those who have their aluminum foil hats say they're doing it, and a number of people can't live without it (so they say). =p

6. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Didn't know about that bit of information before but I somehow assumed it to be a bit bigger percentage.

7. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

I'm curious about who the runner-ups are. Are they anywhere near where Google is at, or are they a distant 2nd, 3rd, etc.?

8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Very good question treeski. Do you have a guess as to who the runner up would be?

9. TridentCrash

TridentCrash TS Rookie Posts: 68

I'll the the first person to volunteer to help the cause when Google finally takes over the world! =P

10. arod916

arod916 TS Rookie Posts: 21

If google had a pretty face and average to nice body I would marry her! Then again with so many people visiting her everyday I might catch something.

11. kaonis92

kaonis92 TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

Sooner or later the internet will be completely under their control. Google's success (in everything they get involved with!) is definite with that growth.

12. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

This is a little off topic.
    As far as I can remember their has yet to be an industrial company that tried to take over the world, maybe some have tried to take over a local infrastructure, but never the whole world.

On topic.
    I agree with stensland. We should probably be more concerned about Google ever starting to go under.
    Also, six percent does not seem that high, especially if I sit down and watch a family member browse the web. I would say more like twenty percent...!

13. StrctClubBouncr

StrctClubBouncr TS Rookie

I don't think Google TV will make a huge impact. No one even has an internet capable television yet.

14. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

I was just watching Animaniacs as I opened this page. You made me laugh, thanks :)

Also the article has a flaw. Google offers the most advanced ISP service in the world.

http://www.google.com/tisp/

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

15. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,097   +43

I LOL'ed

On another note, google is trying to buy wind mills on the easy shore somewhere to power their huge network facilities. Google will be providing its own power.. once its paid off.. free power, cant beat that.

16. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,359   +403

(shrugs) Google is the new Microsoft. In ten years it will be someone else turn. ;)

17. whiteandnerdy

whiteandnerdy TS Member Posts: 71

when you think about how many people use the internet every day...6.4% is a huge number.

18. ryan29121

ryan29121 TS Enthusiast Posts: 182

6% seems small considering how large google is. But then when you think how large the internet 6% may seem really big. Either way Google is a great company!

19. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

Considering that I mostly use Chrome, and every time I turn the PC on google its on my screen... (internet its on my startups list), so im into the mix making them bigger and bigger so they can rule the world:!!!!! -laugh out loudly-!!.

6%, over almost 2 BILLIONS internet acount overthe world.. its HUGE (meaning that the traffic would be more than that that because not all the people that brouse the web has its own service).

20. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Member Posts: 96   +9

it dose seem small thats because almost all google pages / content is small size (in KB) like gmail or even google videos its very basic and lite contents and pages

21. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

6.4 % is pretty amazing in and of itself with the near 2 billion people who are on the net. I love the reference to Pinky and the Brain on the first comment.

22. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 935   +106

Google is currently my home page and has been for quite some time now (sorry techspot I usually come here first thing anyway) but I can say I must use google for at least 10% of all my internet use, lots of searching. Mostly just too lazy to enter in urls manualy now, but it adds up pretty fast. And I actually don't spend much time on YouTube.

23. rizalp

rizalp TS Rookie Posts: 39

Amazing. Google is just amazing. I used many Google web apps, like Gmail, Reader, Youtube, and Search. And now, when Google Chrome is raising in popularity, we will see that the number is going to increase, again

24. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

All your base are belong to Google!

25. UT66

UT66 TS Rookie Posts: 144

google is starting to annoy me. first the slow arse fading effect (great, now i have to wait to go to my "local" google) and now the " instant search is on" BS( most of the time it does more harm than good) whats next?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.