TechSpot

Google starts converting YouTube videos to WebM

By Emil
Apr 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced that all new videos uploaded to YouTube are now transcoded into the WebM codec, in addition to the H.264 codec. Google developed WebM, an open media file format for video and audio on the Web, and its goal is to push the world towards using it exclusively.

Read the whole story

2. andreasf93

andreasf93 TS Rookie Posts: 25

Any example?

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

I was thinking that, Can I test a video in the format?

4. Burty117

5. Burty117

Actually it tells you how to there, use the "more search options" and change the format to WebM.

6. I'm not excited about this at all. I just started enjoying much better battery life on my notebook while watching youtube because adobe finally started using my GPU. Now I have to go back to software decoding? Uncool.

7. @guest - I'm not excited about this at all. I just started enjoying much better battery life on my notebook while watching youtube because adobe finally started using my GPU. Now I have to go back to software decoding? Uncool.

The article states it encodes in both formats, so you can use WebM or still use flash on future videos.

8. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

How will veing able to use both work? Will there be a setting in youtube, or while watching a video can you switch format? Also is this new coding ment to be easier on us with under 1 Meg connections who struggle to Steam 380P let alone upping the quality?

9. @gobbybooby

If you don't have WebM installed, I have not doubt flash will be the default. I'm going to assume they give you an option to switch on the movie, or in the settings which version to be the default.

10. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 155

just tested the HTML5 player (trial) using a 720p video on youtube. with it on, CPU usage goes up to 32%, usually staying around 22%. using flash, usage goes up to 18%, staying mainly in the single digits. i'll stick with flash for now.