TechSpot

Google strengthens Android defense with 1,023 IBM patents

By Shawn Knight
Sep 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has obtained 1,023 patents from IBM in an effort to further protect their Android platform from potential lawsuits waged by rival smartphone OS providers. The transfer was recorded on…

Read the whole story

2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Bummer, they were one short of 1,024. That would have been cool in a nerdy sort of way.

3. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

Yeah -- you're right! It's ALMOST like a googol of patents... I mean a Google of patents... I mean...

You know what I mean.

4. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

nice :)
    I guess its he who has the most patents wins (and then monopolize the market)

5. kahping

kahping TS Rookie

Computers start counting from 0 so 1023 (in binary) == 1024 (decimal)?

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Well, 1023 in binary is 1111111111, but you're right that computers would count indices 0-1023 for a total of 1024 indices. Unfortunately, you can't count patents that way.

7. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

This patent arms race is getting ridiculous. There needs to be some serious reform in the existing patent laws.

8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

@ fpsgamerJR62. A major overhaul of US patent laws was just signed yesterday, Friday.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.