TechSpot

Google strips 8.8 million lines of code from Blink engine

By Jesse
May 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google recently announced that it was forking WebKit to create the Blink rendering browser engine in an effort to pare down the WebKit engine to the essentials for Chrome. Since WebKit is used on over seven different platforms, it had...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +93

They probably just removed the US tax calculation widget.

Jad Chaar, Puiu and BlueDrake like this.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,909   +530

This will put a lot of pressure on Firefox and even Internet Explorer to some degree. Let's see if the browser war intensifies thanks to this aggressive move from Google.

Jad Chaar and hammer2085 like this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Chrome needs a slim down. Heck, if you cant change the looks of the browser, at least get rid of all the junk. Well done.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Turn on the CPU and GPU speed feature and fix the flash/shockware crashing element. Just plain awful.

6. Jad Chaar

I cant believe they still havent fixed that crashing issue that was introduced a month or two back.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Jesse, that's one of the most unique usages of the word, "forking", that I am currently able to recall....:oops:

8. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 291   +55

At the moment Chrome brings slower windows machines to their knees so something needs doing.

Until they put RSS menu items into chrome I will stick with firefox, thanks but no thanks.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Yeah well before Google, it used to be a program going from version 1.0 to 1.01 until you got a bug fix. Now, with Google's self aggrandizing numbering system, it's more like version 20.0 to 25.0.

BTW, what "V" number is Google's gift to drive by downloads on now?:eek:

Jad Chaar likes this.
  10. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

26 Stable, 27 Beta and 28 Dev

11. Jad Chaar

Yeah unfortunately.

The issue is present in 28 Dev. I reported an issue 5 months back to Google and all they have done is responded a ton but there has been no fix. It is such a simple issue, but it still hasnt been fixed. FAIL.

Kafshiel likes this.
  12. Kafshiel

Kafshiel TS Rookie

Yeah I also reported that but saw nothing happening from Google so went back to 27 Beta but now I'm using more Comodo Dragon which is on 26.2.2 and has better privacy and safety using Comodo's secure DNS servers for all links (Less malware) I only use Chrome to play with my WebStore apps...