Google struggles to fix Savage Planet bugs since shutting down its game studios

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: The Stadia version of Journey to the Savage Planet launched earlier this month. Surprisingly the game was to be Google's first and last game-making effort since it chose to shut down its Stadia studios. Now players are reporting game-breaking bugs, and nobody seems to know who will fix them.

Users have been encountering numerous bugs when playing Journey to the Savage Planet on Stadia. At least one of the glitches breaks the game preventing some players from getting past the main menu. Bugs are not uncommon in the first few weeks of a game's release. However, in this case, nobody seems to know who is going to fix them.

Google picked up Savage Planet developer Typhoon Studios in December 2019. The idea was to get a veteran game studio under its belt to produce first-party titles for Stadia. Typhoon had big plans for the cloud-gaming platform, with "multiple projects going on" at the time.

However, as soon as Savage Planet for Stadia was out the door, Google announced it was shutting down its game development branch Stadia Games and Entertainment, which included Typhoon Games. Google laid off some staff while it moved others to new positions within the company, causing players to wonder who will fix the game.

Complaints had gone unanswered for a few weeks, so players began reaching out to 505 Games, which is the publisher of Savage Planet on other platforms like Xbox and PlayStation. According to one Redditor, 505 said there was not much it could do because Google owns all the game code and data.

"Please note that the publisher for Journey to the Savage Planet on Stadia is in fact Stadia Games and Entertainment," said 505 Games in a statement. "Unfortunately, we have no way of assisting with this kind of issue from our end. As mentioned before, we do not have access to the game's code and data since it's owned by Google, and therefore, we are unable to assist in resolving code related glitches."

Google finally responded to complaints via the official Stadia Twitter account and subreddit, saying that it was aware of the problems and is consulting with its "partner publisher" to come up with a fix.

Of course, neither response indicates when that fix might be available. Some players have already been waiting most of the month to play. On bright side, at least Journey to the Savage Planet is included with Stadia. It's a bit easier to wait for a game to be fixed when you haven't paid for it directly.

Permalink to story.

Such a promising service and its being killed by a thousand cuts.

Kind of sad to watch.
How was it promising? It was more expensive then normal console gaming, required proprietary hardware, and quite frankly it barely worked. Even on google fiber input lag in many games was unplayably bad, image quality was consistently sub par compared to even the xbone, and lets not get into how bad it was on non google fiber networks.

Stadia faces the exact same issues that onlive and geforce now had. You will never be able to push sub 10ms latency out of a network connection to servers in a different part of the country. Hell getting below 50ms was impossible for stadia most of the time. The technology isnt there yet, and short of a total rebuilding of all network infastructure worldwide, will never be there. Even if we all had undersubscribed gigabit connections you'd still have worse input lag and worse quality then a home console.

How was it promising? It was more expensive then normal console gaming, required proprietary hardware, and quite frankly it barely worked. Even on google fiber input lag in many games was unplayably bad, image quality was consistently sub par compared to even the xbone, and lets not get into how bad it was on non google fiber networks.

Stadia faces the exact same issues that onlive and geforce now had. You will never be able to push sub 10ms latency out of a network connection to servers in a different part of the country. Hell getting below 50ms was impossible for stadia most of the time. The technology isnt there yet, and short of a total rebuilding of all network infastructure worldwide, will never be there. Even if we all had undersubscribed gigabit connections you'd still have worse input lag and worse quality then a home console.

So much miss-information, lord....

Hardware wise, launch hardware price was 130, including the game pad. Then it got reduced to 99 and you can go lower with buying only the gamepad or using your own.

Games wise, same price as consoles and PC games at launch before sales.

So lets talk numbers, brand new console and no games? between 299.99 to 499.99.

Keep that console for 5 years and your monthly price would be 4.99 for the cheap one and 8.33 for the other. That's without including electricity and perhaps taxes.

And lets not talk about using a gaming PC, specially since everyone's favorite, Nvidia decided to rape the customers with the over priced RTX 20 line.

Then Stadia price is free for the low tier and 10 for the high end tier.

If Google upgrades the back end, you keep paying the same.

Latency? yes, at launch was an issue and it was also at the mercy of whatever crappy home network equipment the person had.

Fast forward and see how stable it is. See how the best platform to play Cyberpunk turned out to be Stadia.

Promising? very. It provided the possibility of playing anywhere that you had decent internet, not the exaggerations that you just claimed. You could have a 1 GB connection to your place and still cripple that with garbage hardware after.

All that said and to your disdain, like it or not, the future is cloud gaming and it will be exactly as Stadia has shown.

I played both Stadia and GeForce Now and to be honest, I had a great experience, even when my home connection is 200 mbps down.

There were hiccups here and there, but guess what? I had other type of hiccups with my Series X and gaming PC.

Some links for your viewing pleasure:

See what people that are really using the service say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care, because the service is the vanguard of the next trend out to kill PC gaming, game modding, and game preservation.

Games as a service is a scam.
We "chatted" about this one before and I do understand the concern, since I have experienced it myself.

The sad reality is, this is the end goal for all these game companies.

Its also simply natural evolution, if we can use that word.

See how we no longer have the physical media for movies and music.

PC games used to have these fantastic boxes that no longer exist, because all PC games are digital downloads only.

The next step is pay a monthly fee for a leased console on the cloud and another fee to access the library.

We "chatted" about this one before and I do understand the concern, since I have experienced it myself.

The sad reality is, this is the end goal for all these game companies.

Its also simply natural evolution, if we can use that word.

See how we no longer have the physical media for movies and music.

PC games used to have these fantastic boxes that no longer exist, because all PC games are digital downloads only.

The next step is pay a monthly fee for a leased console on the cloud and another fee to access the library.
The meme that it's "inevitable" is as dead as discredited as OnLive. It is not inevitable and even if it was, I would not lie down and die and accept it.

Quit carrying water for cynical journos and their masters.

The meme that it's "inevitable" is as dead as discredited as OnLive. It is not inevitable and even if it was, I would not lie down and die and accept it.

Quit carrying water for cynical journos and their masters.
Alrighty then...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shocking surprise :D
99,9% gaming streaming platforms failed + pepper it with Google attention span, and we have another dead service.

The game looks like a ton of fun, I will certainly check it on steam.

Stadia Doabros unite!!

Yawn. The Verge already regurgitated this fake news Stadia hate 5x this week. Sorry kids, cloud gaming is here too stay.

Back