TechSpot

Google to ship custom Galaxy S4 starting June 26th for $649

By Shawn Knight
May 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google I/O is in full swing and as expected, the search giant is dominating today’s tech news. We’ve just received word that Google has unveiled a version of Samsung’s Galaxy S4 that’s unlike any other. That’s because the handset sports...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +900

If only prompt system updates were universal to Android, not just with a Nexus device.
    Mallok likes this.
  3. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 303

Finally, something worth buying.
  4. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 510   +81

Why would I pay $650 for a plastic piece of junk like that...
  5. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Bleh, same money better spent on a GTX 780.
  6. JC713

That is your opinion. Not everyone is a gamer.

Most (99%)of unlocked phone cost >$500.
  7. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 968   +99

I know why I would, Polycarbonate > "Metal"
  8. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 968   +99

Yeah blow your money on 780, oh wait you need rest of the gear.
  9. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 510   +81

You can get a Nexus for $300, or I could get a regular S4 for $200 and root/unskin it myself.
  10. JC713

The Nexus is a different story. Plus it doesnt support 4G. Not everyone knows how to root a phone and it is illegal to do so.
  11. waterytowers

waterytowers TS Rookie Posts: 85

Nexus is the best option for a phone that is a phone but has other abilities.

Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock android will be the best phone if you want a phone that also has expandable storage.

There is a lot to be said for receiving prompt system updates when improvements are made, that is why my last 2 phones were Nexus branded phones. They do the job of a phone and can also be my personal assistant and internet connection. I don't really need to have a lot of local storage so I will stick with straight Nexus phones, but I know people that would die for a Nexus phone with expandable storage.

12. Galaxy S4 features combined with the prompt Android updates...!! That would be the ultimate Android experience for any android fan. But then comes the S4 price tag most of us can't/not willing to afford.

Still this might steal some shine from Nexus where it held the pride of being the first among the phones to get Android updates.
  13. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 98   +20

I don't see this as being worth while. The S4 is made by its software...so putting such a stripped down version of android on it is defeating the phone. While most things could be gained from apps its still pointless...
  14. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 681   +46

$650 lol what a complete waste of money, are you really on your phone that much that a purchase like this is necessary?
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

$649 FOR A PHONE??!! That has to be a typo. For a moment there I thought they were serious. Don't worry fella's once that little faux pas has been corrected we should see sanity prevail once again.
  16. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 412   +42

Sorry guys I donno where else to ask - did Techspot stop doing their "Tuesday/Wednesday tech deals" piece? I loved seeing that. hell I've actually recommended it to a few people who went on to buy a Dell XPS and Pioneer amp which they 'advertised' in that way. Anyone no why they don't seem to do it anymore?
  17. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,435   +218

Captainawesome, Matthew is responsible for this feature but, unfortunately, has been under the weather recently. It should resume when he returns.
  18. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 567   +81

Whats with all you guys commenting about the price.

Every phone off contract since like the original Iphone in 2007 has been >$500

You guys are going on like this is some new outrageous price??
  19. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 681   +46

It has just become an outrageous norm but they keep getting more expensive.
  20. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 567   +81

That was my point this didn't just become an outrageous norm its been like this for years.

I agree its not a good trend but nothing has changed in like 10 years.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.