Google to take on Apple with its own online tablet store

Leeky

Internet search giant Google is set to turn up the pressure on Apple and Amazon by selling co-branded Android tablets directly to consumers, according to the usual 'people familiar with the matter' cited in a recent report by the Wall Street Journal

It’s not the first time Google has tried to sell Android devices directly to consumers. In 2010 they tried selling their co-branded HTC built Nexus One smartphone in a similar way, but it decided to close the store after several months due to weak Nexus One sales against other Android handsets on the market at the time.

WSJ’s sources believe Google will take the same route as before, offering for sale select co-branded tablets from partners like Samsung alongside their own manufactured tablets once Motorola is onboard.

Google’s purchase of Motorola Mobility is now in the final stages, with Chinese authorities just needing to approve the $12.5bn acquisition. Once complete they will have the means to build their own tablets, and sell them to consumers in direct competition with the online stores of Apple and Amazon.

There is no doubt that Google would like to win back some of the market share from Apple’s dominant iPad tablets. Despite their success with smartphones, Android tablets have struggled to make a significant dent in Apple's top-seller position with the iPad. With new smartphones and tablets shipping with Android's Ice Cream Sandwich OS release, Google will finally provide a consistent experience across both devices, which is expected to help drive further adoption of Android tablets in the coming months.

It’s not clear right now when Google intends to start selling tablets featuring their mobile OS platform, or exactly which models will be offered but more details will no doubt arrive as the store launch gets nearer.

Permalink to story.

if they do end the fragmentation of the Android market, I would probably buy one. For now, just enjoying the Ipad.

1st out will be the Asus Quint Core 7"-er. At a rumored $149, THIS Tablet will scream past All players straight into my hands!

I have a Motorola Xoom tablet running Android. I love it I also have an Ipad2. I play all my games on my Xoom. And do all my other paperwork ect on my Ipad2. I think Android is better for customization on the UI. Ipad is just Ipad. No real ability to do much in making the Ipad "yours". So Googles new pad may actually do well given that most smartphones are running Android anyways. What would put them over the top is if they integrate their tablet to your Android phone. I.E. Someone calls your phone and your useing your Google pad and dont want to answer you can send a command from your tablet to send the caller to your voicemail. Stuff like that would send ppl running for it lol.

Back