Google Transparency Report reveals global political censorship trend

By Rick
Jun 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google blogged Sunday that it continues to be regularly disheartened by a portion of the removal requests it receives, requests which appear to promote "alarming" types of censorship. Political speech, in particular, is a growing request pegged for removal by…

Read more
  2. Show some balls Google. You crying and bitching but the truth is that it is your own fault. Google only see $$$ signs everywhere and you will go anywhere (without Vaseline!) just to get a slice of the market (China springs to mind, Syria, Burma, Iran and many others). You will gladly agree to any censorship if in return you get more M of $$$. DO NOT even try to pretend that it is not true.
  3. I don't believe in censorship... I understand that some things are inappropriate, but hey if you don't like it, just don't look at it.. it was like when Hustler first came out it was being banned all over the USA but, in the end justice prevailed. Not to mention that you are well within your rights to voice your own opinion on the topic as well. In fact voicing your own opinion couldn't even win the other person over, granted that it depends on the subject matter
  4. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,649   +51

Whats next will they censor articles telling us websites are being censored?
  5. @Guest
    "There's nothing wrong with censorship - people should be more discreet anyway."

My mind is blown. Do you enjoy being ignorant? Does living in a little bubble world help you sleep as long as you can ignore and not be told the truth about what really happens in the world? People like you are just as frightening as any dictator or terrorist.
  6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Well, I know of at least one high official who made a compelling argument in favor of the state censoring, I mean protecting the indiscreet public from, whatever information it deems risky:

"The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
    -- Joseph Goebbels, Propaganda Minister, Third Reich

Now, there's a guy who knew about censorship. Gotta listen to the experts, yah?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.