TechSpot

Google unveils 'Instant' search feature

By Jos
Sep 8, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Google has unveiled a new feature dubbed 'Instant', aimed at helping users find information more quickly and easily than ever before by showing results as words are typed into the site's search box. The company estimates that by predicting your search and showing results before you finish typing, Google Instant can not only save 2-5 seconds per search, but also serve as a useful guide for users who don't know exactly what they're searching for.

Read the whole story
  2. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +8

oh.. hha i was wondering what the thread over @ the steam forums was about
  3. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TS Member Posts: 93

WHOA! this is great!
  4. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

wow, that works incredibly well! Very cool
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

Geez...what a coincidence, Jose. Nice, France eh? You wouldn't happen to be heading there anytime soon, wouldja? ;)
  6. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Pretty cool, to bad I use iGoogle as my homepage though.
  7. This is the most innovative thing I've seen happen to internet search in a while. This should keep Google on top of the game (like anyone could ever overcome Google's market share :p ) as long as they have this feature patented or copyrighted.
  8. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

So thats what it was..I was'nt keen on it so i turned it off (Sorry Google)
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,536   +301

This, much like their bouncing balls yesterday, doesn't work in Opera 10.61 or Safari 5.0.1 or the Nightly Webkit.
  10. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

@SNGX1275 - That's a nice hist that you should upgrade ^_^
  11. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,081   +66 Staff Member

Moving there on Saturday and I still have a bunch of things to take care of before my trip :-S

12. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,895   +88

Well this is wonderful! this will give me that extra .00000625 of a second of quality time with the kids.:rolleyes:
  13. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 298

I like the few milliseconds of my life that is spared by not needing to hit the ENTER key each time.

Although, each of us have just nullified this saved time by discussing how it has saved us time. lol
  14. red1776

Touch'e PYGMUS :)
  15. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Well I don't know about others, but I've been using something similar like this on bing for so long ........ I wonder why no one really noticed it.

No, that saved time is lost while you are thinking about how to spend it.
  16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

Wow, those .000625 seconds seemed like an eternity.....NOT

The human reflex arc is about 1/4 of a second, (at best, sober).

So you lost that time and more, at, (or slightly after), the "instant" you saved it.

Auto complete is the most annoying feature yet conceived by man. I turn it off wherever possible. You lose even more time by sitting there reading the "suggestions".

This has to be right up there with discovering your own reflection in a Christmas ball, as pure worthless narcissism.

God look out, Google's coming after your personal information next....!
  17. red1776

I agree, does this 'virtual' saving of a few hundredths of a second actually work on people?

It does have one advantage...I forgot my SS # the other day while filling out an application...no problem though...I just Google'd it.
  18. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

You can disable it in Search Settings :)
  19. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

I love auto complete, especially on my iPhone where fat fingering my text happens all to often and the auto complete feature saves a ton of time that's better spent waiting for ATT's network to drop or timeout.
  20. We have had no luck disabling it in search settings despite following every variety of instruction available on the web thus far.

It says its disabled, yet there it is.

How have you disabled it - and has it stayed disabled? Every discussion/forum I've searched everyone complains that it cannot be turned off.

We find it visually annoying and are looking a dogpile as an alternative.
  21. captaincranky

@ Guest above;

I use the Firefox start page, which is sorta Google, but not really. Anyway, I have auto complete, (or "auto-suggest" if you prefer), disabled in Firefox. That does kill it.

You didn't state which browser you're using, but I suspect that if it's "Chrome" or IE, and you're also using the actual Google as your home page, then it might not be as easy to get rid of.
  22. We are using Firefox 3x with NoScript and WOT add-ons. We have Google enabled in NoScript. We have Google as our Home Page.

In Google Search Settings we have clicked on Do not use Google Instant.

We are unable to find the button to disable auto completion or auto suggest in Firefox Preferences.

Help?!!
  23. @captaincranky

Looking further, we find a Google employee saying that autocomplete is now obligatory for everyone on using Google forevermore: "As Autocomplete quality has improved, we felt it was appropriate to have it always on for all of our users."

This link below will take you to the page with Kelly F's "Best Answer" to the question "How do I turn off autocomplete?"

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=5a69f1094357f31b&hl=en

We have found two workarounds, neither great: forbid permission in NoScript; or use Google Elmer Fudd.

Best option, perhaps – use dogpile. If you come up width a better suggestion, please let us know. Thanks for your advice.
  24. captaincranky

@Guest; as I said earlier, the Firefox / Google home page does not auto complete, at least as of yet...! This is with version 3.5.11.

You can turn off auto-complete in this version thus; "Tools" > "Options" > " "Advanced" (tab), then uncheck, "search for text when I start typing".

This still works as of today, in this version of Firefox, which makes me even more afraid than usual of updating my browser version.

I tried the actual Google homepage, and yes, the browser setting has no effect on the auto-complete function there.

As I said before, I am using the Firefox English start page, and NOT the proprietary Google homepage.

I wonder how long it will actually take for Google to ruin this as well.
  25. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

@Captain
    Don't worry, even FF4B5 supports disabling auto complete :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.