Google updated Gmail allowing strangers to send you messages, here's how to disable it

By Justin Kahn
Jan 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday, Google introduced a feature to Gmail some might not be too happy about. By default, anyone with a Google+ account can now send an email to your Gmail account whether they have your address or not. As long as...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,012   +683

Hmm.. I wonder how I would be able to tell if messages were sent to me from this new feature or if they're just the usual spam. I'm going to leave it turned on to see if I get anything.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

Thanks for this it's disabled again. I wish they would stop messing around with privacy setting also. Face Book does this too. I set to friends only it flips back to everyone.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

Earth to Google, no one cares about Google+!
    Darth Shiv likes this.
  5. Hoooooooooooooo... thats why.... ive been receiving more spam than usual..
    many thanks google!!! (hope you have a horrible death)
  6. sdfsdfsd

sdfsdfsd Newcomer, in training

Why did almost every major network just write this same hit piece on google scaring users away from it (bing anyone?) in the exact same way: by LYING about how this feature works and implying 'anyone' can get your personal info and email you anything they want. Why?

Just how did this happen?
  7. Guest17

Guest17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 36   +11

The Internet as we know it has truly entered a parallel Bizarro universe. Can it be that Hotmail is now cooler than Gmail?
  8. hammer2085

hammer2085 Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

9. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,649   +51

Really gmail thats why I was getting random people asking em to chat

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.