Google updates search algorithm to bury low-quality sites

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Google has adjusted the way its algorithm handles search rankings for low and high quality sites. The search giant makes unannounced tweaks to its engine all the time, but they're usually unnoticed by the masses. However, the latest update reportedly affects some 11.2% of the search giant's queries so the company felt it was appropriate to clue everyone in on the change.

The company has introduced an update that reduces rankings for low-quality sites and boosts rankings for high-quality sites. Google defines low-quality sites as those that copy content from other sites or sites that are "just not very useful." Conversely, the company recognizes high-quality sites as those that produce original content and information that includes research, thoughtful analysis and so on.

"Google depends on the high-quality content created by wonderful websites around the world, and we do have a responsibility to encourage a healthy web ecosystem. Therefore, it is important for high-quality sites to be rewarded, and that's exactly what this change does." Google hasn't specifically named what "low-quality" sites are affected, but an employee said that "people will get the idea of the types of sites we're talking about."

Permalink to story.

I'm often finding Google sending me to other search engines which simply list the same search terms and results that Google did. These pages aren't useful. I hope that it is these such sites that Google plans to bury.

I get it, so when you search for, lets say... a Nirvana lyric: The nirvana fan site will be the first, whereas those lyric sites that just copy paste off each other and completely spam a search result get pushed back.

Awesome.

All this does is help make people conform more to the latest standards, which IMO is a good thing.

So if you're running old useless content with crappy coding, then don't bother being searched.

Back