TechSpot

Google updates search algorithm to bury low-quality sites

By Matthew
Feb 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has adjusted the way its algorithm handles search rankings for low and high quality sites. The search giant makes unannounced tweaks to its engine all the time, but they're usually unnoticed by the masses. However, the latest update reportedly affects some 11.2% of the search giant's queries so the company felt it was appropriate to clue everyone in on the change.

Read the whole story

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I'm often finding Google sending me to other search engines which simply list the same search terms and results that Google did. These pages aren't useful. I hope that it is these such sites that Google plans to bury.

3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Putting forward the "econet" eh?

Well it sounds the part alright.

4. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

I get it, so when you search for, lets say... a Nirvana lyric: The nirvana fan site will be the first, whereas those lyric sites that just copy paste off each other and completely spam a search result get pushed back.

Awesome.

5. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

All this does is help make people conform more to the latest standards, which IMO is a good thing.

So if you're running old useless content with crappy coding, then don't bother being searched.

6. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

This ought to clean all the irrelevant results every time we run a Google search. Nice job, Google.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.