TechSpot

Google wants hackers to hammer on Chrome for $1 million

By Matthew
Feb 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has withdrawn support for TippingPoint's annual Pwn2Own hacking competition following rule changes. Previously, entrants were required to reveal all the details about exploits used to compromise security. That stipulation…

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I didn't read it in the article, but how do you achieve a 1 million dollar reward, again?

3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,094   +86 Staff Member

The total prize pool is $1 million. Individual vulnerabilities are worth $20-$60k each.

4. lawfer

So the prize pool is <i> up to</i> 1 million, not that Google is going to offer 1 million per discovery, as the title incorrectly suggests.

5. Matthew

The title says Google is offering a million bucks per discovery? All it says is the company is offering a million bucks for "hackers to hammer on Chrome" and that's quite accurate.

6. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,464   +508 Staff Member

The word "hackers" not "hacker" made me think it was multiple hackers sharing in a $1 million prize pool. That said I didn't assume one way or the other, I read the article and got the facts.

7. lawfer

I didn't say the title explicitly said it, I said it suggested it. As in, imply.

There's a reason why this article's title is evidently different. When you say prize pool, is understood whoever hosts the event is willing to give up to X amount of money for the winners, but when you say "Google wants hackers to hammer on chrome for $1 million," sounds more like a competition in which the one with <i>the</i> (or the most) finding(s), will earn the cash. As in, the $1 million.

8. Matthew

And I don't see how it suggests that either. I'm sorry you were mislead, but I believe the title is accurate.

9. lawfer

Hey, I tried. :D

10. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Im with lawfer, details aside, the title had me confused. Actually the article had me confused even though it read properly because I never saw the million dollar prize. But I see what your saying Matthew.

11. Matthew

Aye, I didn't intend for it to be misleading or sensational etc. Again, if anyone read it as such, I apologize. At least we're all on the same page now :).

12. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Haha yeah its hardly a big deal. Thanks a lot for bringing us the news we've all come to love.

13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +751

What said you didn't assume? Or did you mean 'that said' as in 'that being said' or 'having said that' which no one really understand since it means neither 'however' (contrary) or 'in addition to' (supportive). I honestly can't explain what it means... maybe I need to go back to high school... where those phrases belong.

Anyway... $1 million dollar reward is often very misleading. (Even if this was $1 million to a single person) America's Got Talent offers $1 million to the winner. In a 40 year annunity. The lottery pays the same way. They essentially are awading you $1 million and then giving themselves and interest free loan for 40 years (or 20 for the lottery) and only paying you $25000 per year for 40 years.

14. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I'm about to be a millionaire. There are tons of exploits, doesn't Google have google?

15. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

it's not incorrect, you could potentially walk away with one million. it's just very unlikely.

16. lawfer

According to the article (not the title, mind you ;) ), it's a prize pool of up to $1 million. Google expects people to win in certain categories, and these categories have a certain amount in prizes that combined can make up no more than the $1 million. However, there's no category that would grant you the <i>entire</i> prize pool of $1 million, which is why I brought up that the title had a certain disparity with the contents of the article, as the fact that you <i>thought</i> there was indeed a way to win a million does nothing but corroborate what I first said.

It's not really that big of a deal, that's why I'm not giving TechSpot a hard time. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.