Google wants to build Android directly into cars

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google is working on a version of Android that would be embedded directly into cars, allowing drivers to access applications they would normally use while driving without plugging in their smartphones, according to a Reuters report. The update is expected to roll out with the release of Android M, the next major version of the search giant’s mobile operating system.

Just like Apple’s CarPlay, the current version of Android Auto requires you to plug in your Android smartphone, something which has its own limitations -- such as being dependant on battery life, for example.

Embedding the software directly into the vehicle sounds like a logical next step. Not only it would avoid such inconveniences, it would also give the company access to relevant data -- including some to feed its ad-based business model. "You can get access to GPS location, where you stop, where you travel everyday, your speed, your fuel level, where you stop for gas".

Reuter's sources aknowledge Google will likely face a challenge convincing automakers to integrate its services so tightly into their vehicles, as this is bound to raise privacy, safety and liability concerns. Plus on the technical side, the performance and stability of Android Auto would need to be top-notch.

Google has not officially announced any details or a timeframe for its long-term plan to put Android Auto directly into cars. If Reuter's sources come through we might hear more in a year or so when Android M is closer to release.

Permalink to story.

this is bound to raise privacy, safety and liability concerns.
Not for those of us who won't pay for it. Car companies charge like $750 for a navigation system that costs $80 as a standalone device from Garmin. I would expect a real glass touchscreen (instead of those squishy 1998 ones they still use) with an actual software package that they have to license would cost like $2000 at least.

And while we're 'improving' cars, can we PLEASE get some manual controls for these infotainment centers? A touch screen on a tablet or phone works fine because you can anchor your hand and hold the device, using one out in front of you in a moving car gives you like a 40% chance of missing whatever you're trying to touch.

A nice big dial with good clicks with a push-to-select function is all we need. They need to start making dashboards that are easy to use, not just look in the commercial.

Ahh sweet now I can attack and drive!
Currently using two lvl 1 valks, four lvl3 pekkas, two lvl 1 witches, fifteen lvl 5 minions, one lvl 1 golem + my lvl 5 Barb King and lvl 2 Queen (total 200 troops), plus 1 jump, 2 rage and 1 heal.

I hope motor manufacturers gives the buyer a choice of OS's. If Google takes the plunge along with that iCompany surely M$ will come flying in trying to push and shove their way into the skirmish as well.
I wouldn't be happy about having to settle on another make or model with an Android OS just because I didn't fancy the OS that came standard with the ride I actually wanted in the first place.

I notice in uk to update the built in car satnavs the garages are charging £150+, the thing is you can do it yourself if you look in the manual, I notice in a review someone buying a new car and finding something wrong with the built in sat nav taking it back to the garage and getting charged £150 for an update I was like WTF you brought a new car it should be free if it doesnt work.

Jeeze... what could go wrong there? The LAST thing I want in a vehicle is more electronics.

I am not big on caring if the govt knows my every step, dont care about EZ pass etc but someone really can get too much info when this is hacked and it will get hacked. I dont care, I'm a nobody but any company exec or govt big shot, celebrity etc that gets hacked by another country/terrorist group will wish they didn't have this.

Back