Google: We'll pay $500 to $1,337 for every security bug you find in Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In an attempt to minimize security vulnerabilities in its Web browser, Google has announced a new program that could earn you a few bucks. The search giant is paying between $500 and $1,337 per security flaw found in either Chrome or Chromium.

The reward varies on the severity of the bug, and those deemed particularly critical or clever will receive the larger amount. Google admits that this program is nothing new, tipping its hat to Mozilla for the organization's "long-running and successful vulnerability reward program."

Virtually any security hole found in Stable, Beta, and Dev builds of the browser is eligible, and even some Chromium project plug-ins (such as Google Gears) and third-party components (like WebKit or libxml) qualify for payment.

Naturally, cash is doled out on a first come first served basis, so if you find a bug, be quick to submit it. Unfortunately, payment cannot be issued to some countries, including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

Permalink to story.

I have to say, I do like what they picked as their max reward: 1,337 is numeric nerdspeak for LEET (short for elite). Very creative, google.

Aye, clever indeed. :) If someone in our community -- or a passerby for that matter -- happens to bag a reward, feel free to gloat in the comments of course.

Even though Google has money to spare, this shows their commitment on Chrome and as an extension on other related projects like Chrome OS and Android, the latter which is becoming a beast of its own.

If they want people to search for bugs in their software, Google needs to offer a lot more money!

If i found a bug that could potentially cost $millions in damages to many companies but i only get $500, thats just not fair at all.

@ guest 1

Yes clever indeed, weird thing is - No one has used the term 'leet" since '03

haha yer. I saw a full page add in the Uks top newspaper, saying 21 tabs open 0 Crashes 1 browser. Google Chrome. I think its great people will be paid to find bugs, . It makes the browser more secure, and google don't have to have as many employees testing the browser for bugs, Its a great idea; and as Julio said. Its a free browser and u get paid for working on it, $500+ is a lot of money if u ask me!

That said I still use FF :).

find a bug a day and you will make 180,000+ a year...though that is quite a few bugs

just build an auto-cracking software and you could get much more than 1 bug per day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back