Google's Nexus 7 refresh pegged for July, might drop Nvidia Tegra

Matthew DeCarlo

According to sources speaking with Reuters, Google plans to launch its next-generation 7-inch tablet this July and it could get even more aggressive on pricing. Based on current information, the search giant could be targeting an aggressive $149 starting rate, which would increase the pressure on Amazon and other small tablet makers, especially if the second Nexus 7 is as well rated as the first.

Although it's possible that a second-generation Nexus 7 with only Wi-Fi, a low storage capacity and other lesser features will kick off for $149, Google's plans are said to be "fluid" and nothing is set in stone. It's just as likely -- if not more so -- that the company will ship its newest offering for the same rate as last year's model, which could in turn be used to attack the sub-$150 or sub-$99 market.

The Reuters report notes that Google wants to push as many tablets as possible, even if it means making little or no money on initial hardware sales. The goal is to earn cash off you after the fact -- mostly via advertising. It's similar to Amazon's approach with its Kindle devices, which also recently received a price cut. Google reportedly wants to move eight million tablets in the second half of the year.

As with the previous iteration, Asus will manufacture the co-branded slate. Few hardware details are available at the moment, though the sources claim that Google has dropped Nvidia's Tegra series. The current Nexus 7 is equipped with a Tegra 3 SoC and it was previously assumed that the next variant would ship with a Tegra 4, but Google reportedly opted for a Qualcomm part over power concerns.

Unsurprisingly, you can expect an updated display with an increased resolution from the 1280x800 (216ppi) IPS panel in today's Nexus 7. There's also word of a thinner bezel design, but that's about it for rumored specifications. That said, we wouldn't be surprised to see microSD or some other form of expandable storage added considering that was one of the biggest complaints about the first Nexus 7.

Permalink to story.

There is a certain point in pricing when people no longer care of it gets any cheaper, and for Nexus it has been reached. It is the other factors that sum up the product's value - screen quality, battery life, performance, build quality.

When it is a quality product, the price isn't that much of a concern - look at Apple's market. And dropping prices on sub-par products because they are not that good to begin with - isn't the right way to build a loyal customer base.

If, for instance, come July and the updated Nexus doesn't have at the very least a 1080P screen - it will be a definitive failure.

There is a certain point in pricing when people no longer care of it gets any cheaper, and for Nexus it has been reached. It is the other factors that sum up the product's value - screen quality, battery life, performance, build quality.

When it is a quality product, the price isn't that much of a concern - look at Apple's market. And dropping prices on sub-par products because they are not that good to begin with - isn't the right way to build a loyal customer base.

If, for instance, come July and the updated Nexus doesn't have at the very least a 1080P screen - it will be a definitive failure.

That's one way of looking at it.... The other way would be seeing the difference in the goal of each product. The iPad mini was meant to maximize profits, and it was priced accordingly. The new nexus 7 will try to maximize units sold, and it will cost far less. Price definitely matters. There are a few extreme examples, where low prices have hurt sales because consumers think the product is low quality, but for the most part lower price = more sales.

yes, they need a high quality product, or people won't buy it at all, but selling a ton of something is a good way to build a customer base. Look at Amazon, their manta when they started was 'Get big fast'. They lost money for years while they grew, but now look at how successful they are. If Google is trying to flood the market with their products so they can sell advertising on the devices that more people are using nowadays, then they'll probably win out in the end.

I don't believe the new Nexus 7 will have expandable storage. Google went on record stating that they thought microSD slots made things more difficult for consumers since they wouldn't know which items reside on the SD card and which reside on the built in memory.

I definitely don't agree with them on this plan, but I don't think they'd backtrack so fast.

The Nexus 7 can maybe come down to $150. But anything lower than that will make people think it is bad quality.

I can tell you that if it holds up in performance people will buy it. I can buy 4 of them for Christmas. One for my g/f , mom,sister, and my other sister. Merry Christmas everybody! my shopping is done.

You don't get an 87/100 average from 23 reviews when you're sub par. Wake up will ya?

https://www.techspot.com/products/tablets/google-asus-nexus-7-inch.85690/

I don't believe the new Nexus 7 will have expandable storage. Google went on record stating that they thought microSD slots made things more difficult for consumers since they wouldn't know which items reside on the SD card and which reside on the built in memory.

I definitely don't agree with them on this plan, but I don't think they'd backtrack so fast.

I agree with this statement too and remember Google saying that. Highly unlikely any Nexus device in the near future will have microSD.

Google went on record stating that they thought microSD slots made things more difficult for consumers since they wouldn't know which items reside on the SD card and which reside on the built in memory.

We all know the real reason is so we have to use cloud storage and eat up our data plans. Who wouldn't want expandable storage?

That may be true if you are talking pocket money, say 10-15 dollars, but when you are looking at a 25% reduction in price, or $50 less .. that is in my book worth having. This news will make me hold off buying a B+N HD and see what the refresh brings. if its got expandable storage , well, I'll be in like Flynn.
*that means an immediate and rapid purchase

People suck.
haha, but its true though. Some people have the mentality that cheaper tablets (cheaper than an Apple product for example), or anything cheap in general, will be bad quality.

I have a colleague whose wife has yet to buy a Nexus 4 -- and the reason? "It's too cheap, there must be something wrong with it." Strange, my N4 works beautifully in spite of being "too cheap" -- you really can't help some people.

I have a colleague whose wife has yet to buy a Nexus 4 -- and the reason? "It's too cheap, there must be something wrong with it." Strange, my N4 works beautifully in spite of being "too cheap" -- you really can't help some people.

I don't believe it has to do with price either. When it comes to technology, the majority of consumers would rather ask someone else (friend etc) what is a good [phone], rather than do their own research.

Case and point: If the iPhone was not available at a subsidized price from your carrier, you're damn right the Nexus 4 and 7 would be number one sellers. Fact.

No amount of apps can turn an iPhone/Pad into a real smartphone, hence why I ditched an iPhone 4 32GB I found on the ground, for a Galaxy S instead. After that I moved on to the LG Optimus 4G LTE.

Back