Google's "Skynet": blimps, balloons deliver Internet to remote, underdeveloped areas

By Rick
May 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Bringing a new but literal meaning to the term "Skynet", Google hopes to connect remote and underdeveloped areas of Africa and South East Asia to the web through a network of high-altitude blimps and balloons. The undertaking will be part...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,835   +885

3. Maybe they can put one of those up in Wisconsin, so we can get high speed access too.

There are actually some areas that have high speed, but the way the telecoms and cable companies split up the area leaves a lot of people without high speed access.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,332   +381

That is one clever idea!
  5. Scotland could use few of them too .....
  6. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

I can see the Cable companies shooting those down!!!!!!!!
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,960   +728

Yeah. with their bi-planes as in World War 1.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,960   +728

I'm for it. Being a South African myself, I've seen rural communities that haven't even heard of the internet yet let alone used it.
  9. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

I read about a similar setup using an ultralight planr or glider, but that was years ago. Glad to see another approach to it
  10. The unplugged ones must be plugged in. No more red pills or blue pills there is just one pill and you must swallow it or else.
  11. Why does Africa need all these crazy, backwards projects to get them Internet access? It's not a backwards region because it doesn't have the technical know-how or resources, it's backwards because of corruption. You give the people what they need to make a decent Internet infrastructure, leaving the corrupt politicians and customs officials out of the loop, and they can do it themselves. Stop these crazy projects and help fight against those holding so much of the continent back.

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,479   +292

Indeed, there are lots of rural areas of Missouri that could use this too.
  13. Why does Africa need all these crazy, backwards projects to get them Internet access? It's not a backwards region because it doesn't have the technical know-how or resources, it's backwards because of corruption. You give the people what they need to make a decent Internet infrastructure, leaving the corrupt politicians and customs officials out of the loop, and they can do it themselves. Stop these crazy projects and help fight against those holding so much of the continent back.
  14. Karen Ellis

Karen Ellis Newcomer, in training

We are in the middle of a technology revolution. It can be an overwhelming proposition but one that cannot be ignored. Two things I would say are going to become the backbone of ALL EVENTS (note: I say ALL NOT just digital technology events). Those two things being, managed secure ACCESSIBLE Internet Connectivity, and Dedicated Bandwidth.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.