Hello, All of a sudden today I got an error on my Windows XP computer saying: GoogleUpdate.exe - Application Error The exception Breakpoint A breakpoint has been reached. (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x00406eef. Click on OK to terminate the program Click on CANCEL to debug the program I clicked "OK" and the window disappeared. I then opened up the internet in Firefox (my default browser) and it opened to my homepage (Google) for a split second before the entire Firefox window disappeared. I clicked on my Firefox icon again and once more it opened for a split second before vanishing entirely, both from my screen and taskbar. I then went to open Internet Explorer (a browser I never use) to try googling the "GoogleUpdate.exe" error with that and when I opened IE my entire computer froze. Control alt delete did nothing so I had to manually shut it off with the power button. Then after turning it back on it got stuck on the "Windows is starting up..." screen for 15 minutes without doing anything so I had to manually shut it off with the power button again. I turned it on once more and it went through the startup okay this time but then at my login screen the "GoogleUpdate.exe - Application Error" popped up once again on my login screen before I had logged into any account, something I've never seen happen before. It should also be noticed that the computer tower emitted a "boop" sound when the window popped up, something I've never heard it do. I clicked OK and entered my login and once the desktop etc had loaded I was met with yet another GoogleUpdate.exe error message, this time saying: Google Installer encountered a problem and needed to close. The error occurred at 4/16/2009 at 10:12:11PM. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Internet Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous. To see that data this error report contains, click here. I clicked out of it using "Don't send error report" and then tried opening Firefox again to the same result; it opened for a split second then disappeared. After that I tried clicking on my Desktop icon in the toolbar and found that my entire computer had frozen once again and once again the only way to turn it off was to hold in my power button until it shut down manually. EDIT: A few quick updates. I'm still having the problem, but I downloaded HijackThis on the borrowed laptop (the one I'm using to post this) and, at the advice of a web link, downloaded the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program as well. Here is the link that recommended Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware for the solution to this specific problem: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=63e63bfbdf669255&hl=en I then put HJT and MBAM onto a usb flash drive and installed the two programs on the affected computer that way since it can't access the internet to download them. I ran HJT and saved a log file which I then transferred back to the laptop. I tried running MBAM but it wouldn't open; the link above said this might happen if the bug was purposely preventing you from opening anti-virus software that it recognized and if that was the case to rename it and try again. I renamed it to "fluffy.exe" and it installed just fine. I then tried running it after it was installed and it wouldn't open...I went into Program Files and changed the program's filename to fluffy.exe and it opened fine. So something is definitely up. I ran it and after about 5 minutes the computer froze. I rebooted and tried again and the computer froze 7 minutes into the second attempt at a scan. I then rebooted again, except in safe mode, and tried again. It took about an hour and a half and scanned roughly 400,000 files and found two results...here they are from the MBAM log: Registry Keys Infected: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted Files Infected: C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot. I rebooted again (in safe mode) and am now doing a second full system scan with MBAM to see if it got rid of the second entry (uacinit.dll) or not. EDIT: Here is a link to the HJT log: http://pastebin.com/m71d69ee2 It was too long to fit in the original post so I put the text on pastebin.