Gorilla Glass Victus 2 is designed to better survive drops on rough surfaces like concrete

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Corning is expanding its Gorilla Glass portfolio with the introduction of its latest cover glass for mobile devices. Gorilla Glass Victus 2 features a new glass composition that Corning claims improves drop performance on rough surfaces like concrete while maintaining the scratch resistance of the original Gorilla Glass Victus.

In lab testing, Corning said Victus 2 survived drops of up to one meter on a surface replicating concrete. Competing aluminosilicate glasses from other manufacturers typically failed when dropped from half a meter or less, Corning noted. Victus 2 is also said to have survived drops up to two meters on a smoother surface replicating asphalt.

Cover glass is not as big of a selling point for mobile devices as it once was but it is still an important part of the overall package. Corning cited research showing that across the three largest smartphone markets (the US, China and India), durability was the top purchasing consideration for 84 percent of consumers and second only to brand selection.

Today's smartphones are nearly 15 percent heavier than devices that shipped just four years ago, increasing the probability of damage occurring from drops. Screens are also about 10 percent larger on average. More screen real estate means more surface area to get scratched.

Corning is almost certainly the world's largest producer of mobile cover glass. The chemically strengthened glass was originally developed in the 1960s but did not find a solid commercial use until the mid-2000s when Apple used it on the first iPhone. Gorilla Glass has been utilizes on over 8 billion devices by more than 45 major brands.

Gorilla Glass Victus 2 is already being sampled by multiple customers. The first products featuring the new cover glass are expected to reach the market in the next few months. With CES 2023 a little over a month away and Mobile World Congress lined up for late February, you can bet we will see Corning's latest on display in the not too distant future.

Permalink to story.

Victus 2 is also said to have survived drops up to two meters....

What does this even mean ?
Man survived from being stabbed 15 times ....

Obviously more durable the better - probably more important is the phone edge design and cut - and not concentrating the energy etc

Plus the tech for protecting phones is really good now and very little encumbrance - Glass screen protectors do amazing well at taking the damage - leaving phone surface 100% Ok

so good edge design protection and protector is good enough already - but we will take it anyway

Glass is an amorphous crystal, it will break if you drop it on concrete, it won't survive. All these trickery doesn't alter the basic physical properties, glass has no toughness. Making it much more scratch resistant is far more important. I use a case for protection rather than rely on marketing BS.

Its all marketing in my opinion. At the end of the day, nobody is complaining because I guess 80% of the people buying devices with these "hardened" glass will anyway slap a glass or film protector on it. And to be honest, I've used glass protector myself from time to time, and I hardly see the glass protector getting scratched. Shatter wise, it is very rare, and it is usually some cracks depending on how the device land. Physically, glass is glass and given it is very thin, I don't expect it to be 100% shatter proof. So whatever fluff they try to add to it cannot easily be validated anyway.

I’m tired as F*CK of large phones. I have average-to-small hands for my height (1.73-1.75m), and nearly all new phones are just too big for me for using them comfortably with one hand. Also, they don’t fit good on many pants pockets. For that I went from an iPhone XR (6.1” with gigantic screen edges) to an iPhone 13 Mini (5.4” with much smaller edges), which is the absolute perfect size for me. Smaller phones means lighter phones, which means less chances of breaking screens/glass backs.

Back