Got 10GB left on my Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterproof

My computer has only about 10GB of space left on my hard drive. I want anyone to help me on what is best recommended internal HHD.

I want to get this for my computer:

http://www.arc.com.au/?HDSESATA50032

I want to know would it be capable for my computer. I want to have a 2nd HDD for storage (another OS with music, movies, etc stored) so basically if my main hard drive fails, I have back up on my 2nd hard drive.

this is pic of my spare space where i want to add the new HDD. Would it fit?
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6697/200709250002hz8.jpg

pic of inside my computer. would it be capable with my computer?

IDE hard drive or aSATA hard drive? Which one would be suitable for my computer?
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3818/200709250001ot2.jpg

thanks for any advice.

Looks like you should have room for another hard drive.

Judging from the pics of your motherboard, it doesn't look like it has any SATA ports, so you will have to go with an IDE hard drive - the one you wanna get won't be compatible. Make sure it is set to slave as well when you connect it, the sticker on the hard drive will show you how to do that. You just change a jumper around.

SATA hard drives are faster and the cables you use to connect them make them more convenient, they are too drastically different from IDE, but every other optical and hard drive in your system has IDE connection which adds to my assumption that you don't have SATA support.

Just adding the obvious

Please remove (blow out) all that dust build up (ideally with a high compressed air)

Yes it looks as though that you can ONLY get ATA (or IDE) not Sata that you wanted.

Also, when asking these types of questions, you are best to state your PC Manufacture and Model number of your computer.
Ironically (?) just inconveniently the model number on your motherboard was covered by wires, so we all must guess a little on what you may have.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a HP Pavilion t620a

from all the product info on it i found is which my computer is:

Description:

HP PAVILION T620A CPU ONLY
P4 - 2.8GHz; 256MB DDR; 40GB HDD; 8X DVD+RW/+R
Modem, Intg 10/100 BaseT; Upto 64MB video mem
MS Win XP Home Ed

Product Information:

PROC:p4 - 2.8GHz; 400MHz FSB; 512KB Adv Transfer Cache; PI DATE: AUG 2004
MEMEORY:256MB 266MHz DDR (exp upto 2.0GB w/ discard), 1 free DIMM Slot
STORAGE:40.0GB 5400RPM Ultra DMA HDD; 8X DVD+RW/+R
COMM: V.90 K56 flex modem, data/fax; Intg 10/100 BaseT network I/face
VIDEO GRAPHICS:Intg Intel Extreme Graphics; Upto 64MB dynamic video mem
KEYBOARD: HP deluxe multimedia keyboard
MOUSEOPTICAL: 2-button PS2 scroller mouse
PORTS: 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, 1394, 4 USB 2.0, 2 PS/2,Ser,Par,LAN
OS:MS Win XP Home Ed; MS Works 7.0; MS Money 2004 Std;
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
AUDIO: Integrated stereo sound system. Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Ready
AUDIO PORTS: Mic, Headphone and Line-In, Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in
TOTAL EXPANSION SLOTS:3 PCI; AVAILABLE SLOTS:2 PCI
6-IN-1 DIGITAL MEDIA READER:9-in-1 Digital Media Reader supporting:
TOTAL DRIVE BAYS:External (2) 3.5", (2) 5.25"; Internal (2) 3.5"
AVAILABLE BAYS:External (1) 5.25", External (1) 3.5", Internal(1) 3.5"
EDUCATION & REFERENCE:MS Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2004
SUPPORT: 1 year limited warr w/ up-&-running phone supp for first 30 days
ENTERTAINMENT: iTunes; InterVideo Home Theater; RealOne Player
Intervideo WinDVD Player SE basic version (with optional 5.1 Upgrade)
MS Win Media Player 9 and Moviemaker 2; HP CDRW: RECORDNOW
IMAGING: HP Image Zone Plus; HP Video/Music Toolkit
DIGITAL VIDEO EDITING:InterVideo WinDVD Creator
INTERNET & ONLINE: Free Internet Access from Internet Service Provider
(*Only in Australia, New Zealand. Terms & conditions apply); MS IE

Just adding the obvious

Please remove (blow out) all that dust build up (ideally with a high compressed air)

Yes it looks as though that you can ONLY get ATA (or IDE) not Sata that you wanted.

Also, when asking these types of questions, you are best to state your PC Manufacture and Model number of your computer.
Ironically (?) just inconveniently the model number on your motherboard was covered by wires, so we all must guess a little on what you may have.

The photo was taken a while ago, all the dust is gone now, i did a clean up last week :)

Oh and my motherboard is Micro-star International co LTD (model Gamila/Giovani/Neon Series) Version 030

gosh I need a upgrade :p

I agree, if you want Sata that is.

Yes any new ATA (only) Hard Drive will do

Also your System Specs should actually go into your profile: https://www.techspot.com/vb/editprofile#systemspecs

This will avoid support members continuously looking up your previous posts for this (and avoid you saying it again too)

Also, please avoid replying to yourself, use "edit" instead

sorry for that. Will remember next time.

Btw abit off topic, but which ram upgrade should i get that would work for my cpu?

MEMEORY:256MB 266MHz DDR (exp upto 2.0GB w/ discard), 1 free DIMM Slot
looks like you can go purchase up to 1Gig in each DIMM Slot
I would suggest that you just purchase a single 512Meg 266Mhz Ram card, that's all you need.

looks like you can go purchase up to 1Gig in each DIMM Slot
I would suggest that you just purchase a single 512Meg 266Mhz Ram card, that's all you need.

I think I should get a 1gb, since I have games that needs more than 512meg. Which of 1gb should I get, I'm sort of a newbie and I don't know whether if i buy a random Ram thing, it would probably stop booting or w/e.

Try to clean your computer inside and out. It so dusty. Clean it up while adding additional HD. You can get external HD encloser or External IDE apadator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back