Got a lot of obsolete apps - is there a tool I can use to clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ya,

I've got a lot of obselete programmes and applications installed on my pc (vista 32 bit) but not sure which ones i need and i don't need. I don't want to be blind and get rid of the ones that i don't know about causing problems and loosing data by having to reinstall vista again. so is there a tool i can use to clean my pc of the obselete programmes.

thanks

No program will tell you which programs you want to keep, or uninstall, but if you open your control panel, and lok at your add/remove programs, start out with the obvious ones. I would like to tell you that when you're selecting programs in the add/remove programs page, it tells you the last time the programs were run, which should also give you an idea, but unless it has been improved in Vista, it hasn't been all that great in XP.

Actually, there is a 'tool'- it's called Google and it is your friend!

Once you're searched and identified the process, use this sequence to uninstall:

1. If the program has it's own uninstaller, use that.
2. If the program does not have it's own uninstaller, uninstall in Add/Remove Programs.
3. If you have entries that will not 'remove' in Add/Remove Programs- some get partially uninstalled in deletions and then the 'remove' process doesn't work- use this:

Windows Installer Clean Up Utility> HERE
Download and save to desktop
Double click to Open
Run and find the files for the programs and delete.

Actually, there is a 'tool'- it's called Google and it is your friend!

Ok, you have my attention.
I can say Google is pretty good (I hope, since I use it many times each day).
But how does Google know what programs you want / don't want.
Am I missing something, or are you saying to go through the whole list in add/remove programs, and research each one to see what the program is?
That would make sense because I have downloaded tools in the past which just ends up accumulating and I used Google that way.

It's like this:

Oh gosh ! That one went right over your head strategic!

That was my polite way of saying use Google to search for the name of the program and it's uses. If you don't need/want/use it, uninstall it!

So much for being too subtle!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back