Got an ATI HD 5770 today and my pc seems to dislike it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdotcom

just signed up literally to ask this as im a bit of a noob at troubleshooting stuff like this.

well, i got an ATI hd 5770 to replace my 8800 GS and for some reason my pc has gone into a mood now:

when booting up after logging in it makes the sound to say im on, but it stays on the login screen "loading settings" for about 2 minutes, and when it eventually loads, it loads my desktop background - but no icons, and no option to right click.
after another 2 minutes my screen resets and goes black for a second and resets my background to a black background and my desktop icong come back and it seems to function properly.
ive also noticed wow loads slower with my new card too, which considering the difference it really shouldnt...

ive managed to sort this next thing out but this annoyed me for a bit too:
ive always used 1920x1200 resolution with my 24" monitor, but for some reason when i installed my new card it stretched the desktop and i had to literally scroll across the desktop to get form one side to the other - changing the resolution back and too constantly managed to sort this out but it still annoyed me.

anyone any idea why my pc is being so shitty with my new card? got all the most recent drivers - uninstalled my nvidia drivers etc...

could this be anything to do with my harddrive at all with the loading of the software and os? im using xp atm and gonna upgrade to 7 soon so hopefully that might sort something out.

thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back