Got Microsoft Security Suite mostly off my laptop, but browsers won't work

jbmorgan

Hello! A couple of days ago I unfortunately got infected by the Microsoft Security Suite malware. It was completely blocking my Internet capabilities and even preventing many of my programs from working (including antivirus), and of course there were all the annoying pop-ups. In Safe Mode Networking, I was able to install Malwarebytes and run it, and after running a complete scan of my system, it solved MOST of the problem. My non-Web-based Internet software is working again (like Skype and POP3), and the pop-ups have disappeared - everything else seems normal. But whenever I open any of my browsers I get an error message that says that says "The proxy server is refusing connections." Then I tried running my usual antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) and it did find one file that Malwarebytes seemed to have missed, but when it tried to remove it I got an error saying that it couldn't be removed. Now the file itself seems to have vanished (although in my MSE log it says it was cleaned - not sure how that was possible given the error message). And still, my browers won't work. My question is, is there still a trace of the malware on my system and if so, how do I remove it? Or is this all just the result of some sort of damage that my programs sustained when the malware was present?

"The proxy server is refusing connections."
Check the Control Panel->Internet Options and delete all proxy settings found.

Then check each Browser: Tools->Options and remove the proxy setting from there too

Thanks, although a couple more questions...

Thanks, that did the trick! The only remaining problem I seem to be having is that when I try to update my anti-virus (MIcrosoft Security Essentials), since it hasn't been done since I got infected, I keep getting an error message. Could that still be a vestige of the infection?

Also, can I be fairly certain now that all traces of the malware are gone?

Microsoft Security error message

It just says that the update failed. It won't let me cut and paste the error message, but the important part is:

"Error code: 0x80072efe
Error description: Microsoft Security Essentials couldn't install the definition updates. Please try again later."

hint: Google is your friend...

You can go through more possible solutions by searching for Error code: 0x80072efe

I'll show you this one and you can investigate for yourself :)

Thanks

Thank you, I'll investigate it. How certain can I be that the malware is gone? Is there still a possibility that there's traces of it on my system?

Perhaps you may go through 8-steps on Techspot's Virus and Malware Removal Forum, and post logs following the instructions given there.

The problem seems to be with Windows...

I've looked at some of the solutions linked to the page you suggested, but nothing seems to be helping. Microsoft Security Essentials still won't update. I also noticed that if I click on "Windows Update" under Start, I get the error message "Explorer cannot display the Webpage" even though I seem to be able to go to any other site without a problem. Is there something blocking Windows? They seem to be related problems. I did a search but couldn't find anything related to this specific issue (although it's hard to isolate amidst all the Web sites which discuss similar errors).

Posted to malware forum

Thank you, I followed the 8-step instructions and I just posted a request to the malware forum. Thanks for all your help!

Back