Gpedit.msc is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

vellachaitanya

hi all,

my laptop got infected very badly and my task manager, regedit are disbled by viruses.
even my anit virus program is disabled by the virus. i want to kill the process from task manager, but its already disabled by virus. i wanted to enable it through regedit, and again this is also got disabled. even my hardware is disabled. i am not able to burn dvds, my dvd wirter is disabled. i'm not able to install any programs.

now the only option left for me is to turn around and go through gpedit.msc
but when i run gpedit.msc, it appears for 2 mins and is automatically closes by itself.

then i thought of scanning my laptop online so i connected to trendmicro.com, but the window got closed automatically.
i am using xp pro sp2 2002 version. can anyone please help me out

hi kimsland!

ur program worked, but its a sort of no use coz taskmanager got enabled but when i open taskmanager to kill any processes, its getting closed by itself.

same case with gpedit and regedit.
i know its because of some virus. i wanted to clean up this virus, for this sake i need to use regedit and gpedit. if there is any other way to solve my problem directly, please let me know. that would be of great help!!

P.S: virus did'nt allow me to install Malwarebytes. i tried to install it, but the install window closed by itself automatically just as it happened with my regedit and gpedit!
thanx in advance

What about Safe Mode? (Repeatively press F8 key before Windows startup->Safe Mode)
Does it work in there?

If so then create a new user (Administrator privliged) in Control Panel (call it test)
Then restart and login in to the new user
Then see if that new user account works
If so, download and run all the Antivirus/Malware scans

tried by logging in safe mode nd created a test account with admin rights.
but same thing happened again when i logged in with the test account.

when i opened symantec antivirus to scan, it got closed autmatically after few seconds.
and even installation of "malwarebytes" was also closed after few seconds. and same thing with taskmanager, regedit and gpedit.msc.

can u gimme a permanent solution for this, other than formatting my laptop?
coz it has got a lot of stuff and the virus disabled my dvd writer, so backing up my data in dvd is not possible for me at this movement and i cant afford to lose my four years of effort in collecting this data and another thing is that this version of XP is genuine. if i format my lappy, i need to spend lot of money on getting a genuine XP ;-)

Can you run MSCONFIG (in either Normal or Safe mode)
Select "Diagnostic" Startup
Apply OK
Restart

Once in this mode are you then able to run (updated) scans?

One of the easiest solutions for laptop HardDrives is to remove the HardDrive
Install a Converter for it to go into a Desktop computer (converter cost ~ $5)
Mount in an Updated Desktop computer
Do a full scan
So that can be an option too

thanks for the replies guys!

i got xp pro genuine with one of my friend, so i formatted and re installed XP in the same drive and after that i installed anti virus and cleaned virus from the second drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back