GPU accelerated video playback software

nichitapavel

Hey guys, I decided to jump on GPU accelerated video playback, and I'm having some problems, after reading some articles on internet, I downloaded Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and it works, but not always, there some .mkv videos that had been accelerated and others clearly didn't been accelerated, and while others the fluctuation between CPU and GPU made me unable to determine if it was accelerated or not, every suggestion will be helpful,
Some suggestion:
I don't have any code packs installed, if I need some please suggest what codecs are the best.
also can you recommend some good monitoring software to know what is doing my GPU and CPU cause what I use I don't like.
I have an AMD Athlon 2 630 x4 and ATI 5770.
Thanks for every suggestion.

GPU accelerated playback doesn't make much a difference imo.
I like process explorer but if I were you, i'd just leave it.

but how about netbooks with nvidia ion and ati 4220? in this cases GPU acceleration I think will make a big diference!
But how about an athlon II X4?!?!!

Actually IDK how to get it to work, its possible that it just won't work.

Alternative Method

H.264, often used in the .mkv container, is the most efficient codec as regards signal processing to achieve best quality for minimum file size. But because of its strong encoding, it’s very demanding on computer resources and not all machines can support it.

I also don’t believe much in accelerating techniques, they are tricky and in particular overclocking can lead to overheating and damage.

Instead, try to make best use of resources by closing all apps and unnecessarily running processes. If that’s not enough, try the following trick: Disconnect from the internet and de-activate antivirus and firewall, which use up resources, sometimes heavily. This often makes the difference. But remember to re-activate them before re-connecting to the internet.

overclocking can lead to overheating and damage.
Instead, try to make best use of resources by closing all apps and unnecessarily running processes. If that’s not enough, try the following trick: Disconnect from the internet and de-activate antivirus and firewall, which use up resources, sometimes heavily. This often makes the difference. But remember to re-activate them before re-connecting to the internet.

I had no plans for overclocking and no one needs to overclock in order to have GPU accelerated video, the only antivirus that I'll use on Aspire 1551(and am using it now on my desktop) is Microsoft Security Essentials and everyone knows that is light on resources, and don't worry, I'm not a newbie to pc hardware and security, I just wanna know a good and easy way to accelerate video using GPU, as I said before I have installed the MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC HOME CINEMA, but I found it inconsistent in accelerating video over GPU, if someone know other video players that support GPU decoding it will be very nice, thanks!

VLC also supports it, but I don't think it would be particularly better. GPU accell isn't all that developed yet.

Also, you can't test how your laptop will work based on your desktop. NVidia and ATI are different when it comes to GPU acceleration.

VLC also supports it, but I don't think it would be particularly better. GPU accell isn't all that developed yet.

Also, you can't test how your laptop will work based on your desktop. NVidia and ATI are different when it comes to GPU acceleration.

VLC supports it only with nvidia hardware, they are waiting for ATI to fix thier driver, and this means that I will need an driver update on my future aspire 1551 and we all know that driver updates on laptops are a very rare thing, also VLC acceleration is not very good.

That's a good idea, but as I said before I can't get all my videos accelerated, I don't know if it's a video file problem o something else.

Back