TechSpot

GPU bottle necking

By ViperCDX
Jun 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,I have a core i5 3450, gtx 660 and gigabyte b75 d3h mobo
    If I add another gtx 660, will my processor bottleneck my sli graphics card??

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,203   +2,638

You do realize they SLI larger cards and even run tri and quad configurations.

If you had an i3, you might should worry about bottlenecking. However with an i5, I think you are good to go. Even then it would depend on how CPU intensive your games are.

3. ViperCDX

ViperCDX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

I was thinking about battlefield 4,AC 4 etc
    also what is micro stutter?

4. cliffordcooley

Wikipedia answers that better than I ever could

Micro stuttering

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Looking at the specs of your mobo it only supports Crossfire and not SLI so you might want to do a bit more research on that.

Microstuttering isn't that much of a problem nowadays especially on Nvidia cards.

6. cliffordcooley

Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is that not where the bridge comes in?

I was under the impression that when a motherboard supports SLI or XF, the bridge may not be necessary (depending on GPU design).

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Bridge just links the cards together, so the cards can use full bandwidth on output, and not I/O between each other.

At least that's my understanding. :D

8. ViperCDX

ViperCDX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

@slh28- yeah you are right, it only supports cross fire, bad luck :(

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Hmm not sure, never heard of anyone not using an SLI or CF bridge (since most cards come with one anyway).

For higher end cards and/or high resolutions and refresh rates you definitely want a bridge, I actually use two CF bridges between my two cards because a single bridge isn't enough for 2560x1440 @110Hz.