TechSpot

GPU bottle necking

By ViperCDX
Jun 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,I have a core i5 3450, gtx 660 and gigabyte b75 d3h mobo
    If I add another gtx 660, will my processor bottleneck my sli graphics card??

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,121   +1,523

You do realize they SLI larger cards and even run tri and quad configurations.

If you had an i3, you might should worry about bottlenecking. However with an i5, I think you are good to go. Even then it would depend on how CPU intensive your games are.

3. ViperCDX

ViperCDX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 84

I was thinking about battlefield 4,AC 4 etc
    also what is micro stutter?

4. cliffordcooley

Wikipedia answers that better than I ever could

Micro stuttering

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Looking at the specs of your mobo it only supports Crossfire and not SLI so you might want to do a bit more research on that.

Microstuttering isn't that much of a problem nowadays especially on Nvidia cards.

6. cliffordcooley

Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is that not where the bridge comes in?

I was under the impression that when a motherboard supports SLI or XF, the bridge may not be necessary (depending on GPU design).

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Bridge just links the cards together, so the cards can use full bandwidth on output, and not I/O between each other.

At least that's my understanding. :D

8. ViperCDX

ViperCDX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 84

@slh28- yeah you are right, it only supports cross fire, bad luck :(

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Hmm not sure, never heard of anyone not using an SLI or CF bridge (since most cards come with one anyway).

For higher end cards and/or high resolutions and refresh rates you definitely want a bridge, I actually use two CF bridges between my two cards because a single bridge isn't enough for 2560x1440 @110Hz.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.