GPU compatibility

morboz

Hello
I plan on installing a different GPU on my PC
the GPU in question is a GeForce 660GTX 2GB DDR5
and the CPU is an Intel core2duo E6550 2.33Ghz

question is, is the GPU compatible with the CPU?
and are there other factors I should consider before trying this?
thanks

The factors you should be considering is the Cpu and Motherboard seeing that the cpu is An intel CoreDuo E6550 Im having my doubts on how much your pc will take the full power of the gfx card and idk what socket your motherboard takes please tell us the motherboard serial number or name

Im pretty sure the card wont be in full potential on this rig, its simply the first thing im replacing before changing everything else, since my previous GPU has had its last breath.
anyway, the motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L, hope this is helpfull

Well it will be compatible but from what I can tell that mobo is only PCI-E 1.0 x16 so the bandwidth will restrict the card's performance. So will your C2D processor for a lot of the games. Unless you're going to upgrade the rest of the system within a few months I'd get a cheaper GPU for the time being, the 660 will just depreciate while being under-utilised in your current system.

Slh pretty much said it in the best way possible id advice u to look for a radeon or nvidia low cards by all means if your looking for a good card for that kind of system the radeon 7770 should run well on that rig and it isnt a high price you can buy it 160 dollars or even 130 if ur lucky enough so just a simple tip

Thanks for the tips, I can see you point.
I think im gonna wait it out a bit longer until I can afford the whole thing, dont wanna spend money on a card ill want to replace in a few months.
thanks again

Smart thing mate ive seen lots of people building rigs which are budgety and they end up complaining at the end with the performance its always better to buy something good and high price and last with it for 5 years then buying a budget pc which will be outrated in everygame in 2 years time

If you're really eager to game at the moment it might be worth looking around for a cheap 7770 or a previous generation used GPU like a GTX 460 or 6870 - they were both very popular at the time and there should be a few floating around. They'll still depreciate in value slightly but not nearly as much as a 660.

Replacing a new GPU is relatively easy (unlike a CPU for example), you just plug it into your PCI-E slot, connect the power and update your drivers.

Back