GPU overheating (PSU problem?)

Hey guys,

First off, let me say I'm a complete ***** when it comes to exactly how a computer operates and its hardware components. Sadly though, I seem to have a bit of an issue with exactly that.

My pc works half. I got a systemspec list for your information
Quote:
Windows Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000
Memory (RAM) 3071 MB
CPU Info Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
CPU Speed 2332,4 MHz
Sound Card Luidsprekers (Realtek High Defi
Display Adapters ATI Radeon HD 3650 | ATI Radeon HD 3650 | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors 1x; Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm |
Screen Resolution 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network Network Present
Network Adapters NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
CD / DVD Drives K: UZYPO E7CHI3WP
Ports COM1 NOT Present
BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/11/08 | ACRSYS - 20080911
Time Zone West-Europa (standaardtijd)
Battery No Battery
Motherboard * ACER MCP73PV
I bought it as Acer Apire M3641. All the original parts are still there.

The problem is as follows;
For a long time now my pc has had tremendous issues with booting. One of several things can happen. Either;
- It hangs at the very first screen I get, the Acer 'title' screen. After a while the blue light indicating activity starts burning, it never goes off, and my pc doesn't boot.

- It hangs at the title screen for a while, then proceeds through all the usual stuff to a black screen with a single _ blinking in the top left corner of the screen. It never continues.

- It hangs at the title screen, then goes through everything normally till it gets to the vista 'microsoft title screen'; the one with the green slider indicating that it's doing... something. The slider moves from left to right a few times like it should, then freezes up. Always at the same point. After a short while it continues and boots like it should.

All this is making it very annoying to boot up, since it can take up to 2 hours, counting all the reboots I have to do. I'm really wondering what could be wrong...

But the problem gets worse. When I play any game and monitor the gpu temps, the temperature reaches over 100 degrees C in seconds flat. If I continue playing, it crashes and goes unresponsive (a gpu failsafe?). I now have to play games with a big deskfan blowing into my now permanently open case. That went fine so far until now, when even with the fan blowing at full speed it crashes in max 15 mins. It seems unrelated to the graphics settings. I've heard elsewhere that it might be a problem of my psu not supplying enough power (when I checked the psu, it didn't seem to list a wattage and I couldn't find it online either), and on other places I read that it's impossible for the psu to cause such problems. Being a dummy, I haven't a clue what's causing it. I've read many things on replacing the thermal sink or paste, but I have now clue how to go about doing that, or what it looks like on my gpu.

Looks like the Aspire M3641 uses 250W power supply. Found specs for ED7200A & U3702A, both has 250 W PSU, so I'm guessing all M3641 uses it.

The fan on the video card is working?

Kind of sort of. I can hear it's going, even now, but it's making a sound I really wish it didn't.

The humm is somewhat more distorted and unstable, if you know what I mean.

It could be the fan is failing. But if you haven't already, get a can or two of compressed air and blow off any dust build-up on the cooling fins & fan of the video card. Now would also be a good time to use compressed air to clean the rest of the components in the case.

Restart & see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. I've already cleaned it off as best I could. Not to say that I got all the dust, but most of it. That didn't have any result.

But I'll get a can and clean it further, I meant to do that anyway.

Back