GPU overheating

By xwarriorx
Nov 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi guys,
    can anybody tell me if overheating can affect at 4850 performance?it reaches up 106 celsium temp.
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

Hi xwarrior,
    the temperature range spec'ed by ATI is that they are designed to operate up to 110C, however, it is very preferable to get the temp down to the 80'sC if you can.(even lower is better obviously) there are a few things you can do. 1) add fans to your case for better airflow. 2) remove the HS/F and reapply and replace the stock thermal compound that it came with.3) change the fan control to manual in CCC and turn the fan speed up. has it always run this hot? or did it just start doing this?
  3. xwarriorx

xwarriorx Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 39

it was a bit lower temp before,now it's gone hotter.what do you mean by CCC and HS/F?
  4. xwarriorx

do you think replacing video card with gts 250 can solve the problem?i've heard that nvdia card are more suitable in term of temp.
  5. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

lol no dont replace it and red means catalist control center or ccc for short its what comes with your drivers.
  6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

Yes catylist control center, you DO have that installed yes?
    HS/F is heatsink fan.
  7. red1776

what vendor version of the 4850 do you have? and what case do you have?
  8. xwarriorx

well,vendor version is unknown as it was replaced from dell btx tower.atx tower is thermaltake something with 3 fans:rear,front and back one.i'd say the the atx tower is specially designed to keep it cooled.
    ok,i'll try sorting out the gpu's fan from CCC.
  9. xwarriorx

this gpu's causing me sorf of headaches,i mean according to it's specs on the web,it's supposed to perform on max settings and show good fps.well,it can perform on high settings but in that case fps will the lowest possible.i mean seriously,why's that when you buy some dell's stuff it always so many problems....
  10. red1776

are you sure that the six pin power connector on the back of the 4850 is is plugged in?
  11. xwarriorx

yeah it's plugged 100%

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.