GPU problem

Hi.I own an Acer Aspire 5737Z.Got it since 1 year.I used it mostly for ineternet and some games.Recenly a problem occured while i was playing.The problem was that FPS started to drop after some time.I checked GPU core clock speed while gaming and i saw that when GPU temperature raises to 92 degree it drops gpu core clock from 450 mhz to 200 mhz and i start lagging ingame.I tried cleaning the fans,used powermizer to set maximum performance so i dont get drop of core clock speed.I also set the option from the newest Nvidia drivers (power managment ) from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance also tried with older drivers . The strange thing is that some rare times when playing even on 92 degrees with default core clock speed it dont drom the core clock speed .The laptop is used on a wood table.Never did overclocking on it .I also checked cpu temperature and both cores on full load didnt go more than 70 degree.The fan is spining normally not making any strange noise.Sometimes when its on 92 degrees it stays stable and doesnt drop the clock speed and it stays at that temperature without getting higher but most of the times it drops and i need to go alt + tab to desktop for 20 secs so the temperature will drop to 83-82 degrees then it jumps to 450 mhz again
.So plz if someone know how to fix this problem i will be really grateful.Thank you!

Acer 5737Z
dual core T4200
Nvidia GeForce 9400m g
ram 4GB ddr3

Your laptop is overheating.

Doesn't need to be overclocked for a laptop to overheat.

Getting a laptop cooler will help. You can also just try to keep some space UNDER the laptop, that seems to help some.

Hi Thank you for your reply.I tried keeping more space under it but still same temperature.I just dont get why its stays stable on 91-92 degrees and sometimes it drops core clock speed sometimes it doesnt.When it doesnt drop it it doesnt go more than 92 degrees with full core clock speed.I get that it declock core speed to lower temperature.Are those temperatures high or more like normal? Gpu at 92 and cores 70 on full load.Btw at normal no load gpu stays at 62 degrees. Thank you

Like said, there's nothing much you can do. My brother used to put ice blocks (the reusable sealed kind) to lift the laptop, and a fan to be able to play games on his laptop (not sure about his specs). Without those ice blocks, the laptop keeps overheating he tells me.

Bear in mind that this is after he bought a laptop cooler. Apparently it helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Laptops just aren't built for gaming.... Sure, you can fit a high-end fermi in one, but can you run it? :D

@kani
Cooling Pad will keep your temperatures reasonably under control, I use one with my HP 1125em notebook, and I've noticed that it keeps temperature of CPU at load around mid 40s, and GPU in mid 50s. So it should at least partially solve your heating problem.

Back