TechSpot

GPU/ Video Card shader problem

By CUkills
Jul 8, 2009
  1. hello everyone, i just installed one of the newest nvida video cards GeForce FX 5700, however i am trying to run a downloaded demo of Armored Assult 2 and when i tried to run it, it came up with the error that shader model 2 is not supported, i assumed that with this new Nvida that it would support that shader model but i cant find where it would post that. to run the game it requires shader model 3. so first i am asking is where i can find what shader model my Nvida is running? and second what other GPU's are there that support shader model 3

Thank you

2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

That card is quite a few years old now, And sadly does not support shader model 3.

3. CUkills

CUkills TS Rookie Topic Starter

so what would you recommend, is there any update download that i can do or do i need to purchase a new GPU

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

5. CUkills

i would like to replace it with a Nvidia type GPU, what is the best for the price Nvidia, or how much does the AGP cost

6. red1776

7. CUkills

how much did the 3850 cost? and where would be a good site to find it?

8. red1776

the one i linked to is $95.00, scroll up to my post about it and follow the link :)

9. Alster37

Alster37 TS Maniac Posts: 290

Some of the newest games require shader 4.0, for example cryostatis. but then 4.0 in cryostatis is optional so stick with a 3.0 gfx card

10. red1776

Alster,
    do you have cryostasis? i hear it is impossibly buggy

11. CUkills

so do cards with 4.0 shaders run fine on games that only require 3.0 shaders

12. red1776

yep CU, its a backwards compatible deal :)

13. CUkills

so is should/could but a new card with 4.0 shader and that would b fine, thank you for ur help

14. red1776

yep, a 4.0 capable card works for games that are SM model 3.0,2.0 etc

15. Alster37

no I dont have cryostatis but I have played the demo which was fantasitic, but my system cant cope with that game the detail is too great for my little GTS 250.

16. red1776

I heard it gives crysis a run when it come to detail, where did you get the demo?

17. Alster37

It cannot be compared to crysis in my opinion becuase they are two very different games we can only compare them by framerate.

I got it from a pc zone dvd. Im subscribed to them you see, but you can find the demo at some download sites. try gameshell, gamespot

18. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

I have cryostasis. its very pretty but i think crysis still has the edge, in the number and variety of textures used. As a pose to frozen steel, frozen rock, frozen water ect :)

The physx is very very impressive though. snowflakes blowing around, blizzards ect.

19. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Cryostasis is a shoddy port IMO. It runs like crap on most high-end rigs that can rip through better-looking (IMO) games like CoJ2 and Crysis.Just look at HardOCP's Performance and Image Quality article on the game for proof.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.