'Gran Turismo Sport' pushed back to 2017

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Gran Turismo Sport, scheduled to be the first game in the franchise developed for Sony’s PlayStation 4, will miss its planned November 15 launch date.

Kazunori Yamauchi, founder of Polyphony Digital (the studio behind the game), said in a recent PlayStation Blog post that Gran Turismo Sport is being delayed until next year.

Yamauchi described GT Sport as one of their most ambitious undertakings to date as it utilizes cutting-edge technology such as physics-based rendering, sound simulations and Scapes photo mode. As the planned launch date approaches, the team realized they needed more time to perfect the game as they don’t want to compromise the experience in any way simply by publishing it early.

The developer didn’t provide a revised launch date but did note that Polyphony Digital will continue to showcase the title at upcoming game events around the world.

Polyphony Digital announced Gran Turismo Sport in October 2015. Both Polyphony and Sony made it clear from day one that Gran Turismo Sport is not Gran Turismo 7 but simply, the next entry in the franchise. It’ll be more significant than earlier Prologue titles which should hopefully hold fans over until a full-fledged title is ready.

The game is also noteworthy as it’ll be compatible with PlayStation VR, Sony’s upcoming virtual reality headset. Some have speculated that GT Sport is being delayed to port the game to upcoming systems (Neo or Trinity) but there’s nothing to confirm that at this hour.

Permalink to story.

Well, they are probably updating it to be "self driving" so you won't even have to start the game ... it will do it all, then report back to you later to let you know if you had a good time ......

Good gravy, and I'm not at all shocked.

I honestly don't know why they need more time. Perfect the game my rear end. They'll compromise the experience anyways due to seriously daft design choices like with the last two entries.

I'm sorry, but I've never really cared for the Gran Turismo games after the PS2. Forza has become the game of choice for me when it comes to simulation racing. Gran Turismo doesn't have a great customizing experience and the cars sound absolutely terrible. Sometimes it even feels like the cars are driving on ice. It's like they don't know how to design a realistic handling and tire compound.

Back