Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas remasters are reportedly arriving in a...

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: From Crysis to Mafia to Mass Effect, remastered versions of classic games are becoming more popular these days, and it seems that Rockstar agrees. The company is reportedly finishing work on updated versions of its beloved, PS2-era Grand Theft Auto titles: GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas.

The exciting news comes from a Kotaku report that claims the remasters will arrive in late October or early November this year on pretty much every platform available: PC, Stadia, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch. They will also be available on mobile devices.

The claim seems to explain why publisher Take-Two Interactive has hit several classic GTA mods with DMCA takedowns recently. These included Vice Cry: Remastered, a mod that ported the Vice City map into GTA V. Moreover, Take-Two previously confirmed it is working on three unannounced "iterations of previously released titles."

The upcoming GTA games will be remastered using the Unreal Engine and offer a mix of "new and old graphics." There will also be an updated UI, but it will keep the same classic style. The gameplay, meanwhile, will stay true to the originals as much as possible.

Kotaku adds that Rockstar Dundee is leading development on the GTA remasters. The Scottish studio is also reportedly helping with the next-gen versions of GTA V that are due out later this year.

We may also see a remaster of Red Dead Redemption, which sounds like an equally mouth-watering prospect.

With the remasters and next-gen GTA V on the way, there should be plenty to keep fans of the series occupied until GTA VI arrives, supposedly in 2025.

Permalink to story.

Please be a proper remaster this time with good 60fps / unlocked frame rate support. One of the reasons that we download mods for these games because they don't originally work properly!

It's shameful that Take Two attacks their own modding community.
And a shame they cheap out on music contracts and then remove the music from their games post launch instead of paying for a permanent license for said game's music. Their PC re releases of these games are missing parts of their soundtrack with only the modding community around to restore them....

Maybe there's something wrong with my eyesight or my memory but the GTA graphics in the clip don't look any different to how I remember them. I was expecting much better graphics, better animation and ragdoll effects plus a load of new missions etc. I'd love to play GTA 3 again but with a fresh perspective.

Very odd that they're using Unreal Engine, instead of just revamping the old engine or even just using the GTA5 engine. Using UE means these old games had to be completely rewritten from scratch. Seems completely unnecessary to me, unless it's a means of future-proofing them. Makes me wonder how this is going to affect physics, and also about bugs - the originals have always been relatively bug-free games.

I wonder if these remasters will look better than the originals with all the community patches (which add the improved lighting from console versions, fixed 60 fps, etc). They will probably be missing some songs from the radio stations because of licensing issues.

Makes me disappointed (but not surprised) that they couldn't be bothered to also port and remaster LCS and VCS while they were at it. LCS on PS2 is my favorite GTA from the 6th gen era - even more than SA. LCS and VCS need remasters more than the others, since they never had PC ports that could be enhanced by the modding community.

And a shame they cheap out on music contracts and then remove the music from their games post launch instead of paying for a permanent license for said game's music. Their PC re releases of these games are missing parts of their soundtrack with only the modding community around to restore them....

Yeah, I'm expecting even more missing songs in this remaster...

While Read Dead Redemption 2 seems too slow and story heavy for me, I'm very interested in the remake of the original, and for a low price I might even get one of the previous GTAs, though I have played all of the listed ones. Only San Andreas I never finished.
Given the royalties of Unreal Engine I'm little surprised they are not utilizing their own RAGE engine. The reason is most certainly related to efficiency of development.

The fact that they state "New and Old graphics" indicate it's NOTHING but a SLIGHT graphic update to make it seem a little bit smoother and run a little bit better that's all. What a friggin waste of potential for nothing more than a simple cash grab 😒

Maybe there's something wrong with my eyesight or my memory but the GTA graphics in the clip don't look any different to how I remember them. I was expecting much better graphics, better animation and ragdoll effects plus a load of new missions etc. I'd love to play GTA 3 again but with a fresh perspective.
That would require way too much effort this is nothing but a shameless cash grab with slight updated graphics and animation and I mean SLIGHT. The reason they went after the mods is because the mods made the game a hell of a lot better than they bothered to do.

The video is from the 10th anniversary mobile release….

Very odd that they're using Unreal Engine, instead of just revamping the old engine or even just using the GTA5 engine. Using UE means these old games had to be completely rewritten from scratch. Seems completely unnecessary to me, unless it's a means of future-proofing them. Makes me wonder how this is going to affect physics, and also about bugs - the originals have always been relatively bug-free games.

I wonder if these remasters will look better than the originals with all the community patches (which add the improved lighting from console versions, fixed 60 fps, etc). They will probably be missing some songs from the radio stations because of licensing issues.

Makes me disappointed (but not surprised) that they couldn't be bothered to also port and remaster LCS and VCS while they were at it. LCS on PS2 is my favorite GTA from the 6th gen era - even more than SA. LCS and VCS need remasters more than the others, since they never had PC ports that could be enhanced by the modding community.

Yeah, I'm expecting even more missing songs in this remaster...
They most likely have big issues with the source code (if they still have the code).

The video is from the 10th anniversary mobile release….
Thanks, I'll cancel my appointment with the optician then. It does make me wonder why the author of an article about a game being remastered with Unreal Engine would illustrate the article with a 10 year old video ... from a mobile. Hey ho.

Back