Grand Theft Auto V trailer unveiled

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive have unveiled the highly anticipated trailer for Grand Theft Auto V. The trailer opens with a narrator, presumably the main character, talking about how he wanted to retire from “that line of work” and “get away” from it all. So he bought a big house and moved his family to that city.

That’s right, Grand Theft Auto V brings us back to San Andreas, a fictional state that is based on California, Nevada and Arizona. A closer look at the trailer reveals Los Santos, a city based on real-life Los Angeles as well as several familiar sights from the 2004 hit title, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

We see many staples of previous GTA games in the clip. Custom vehicles, watercraft, aircraft, police chases and of course prostitutes are all present. Unfortunately the clip ends without providing a launch window for the title or any other information regarding the storyline or characters.

GTA V will be the first major release in the series since 2008’s Grand Theft Auto IV and is likely to be one of the best selling games of the year when it’s released. If we had to guess, we’d say that will be sometime in 2012. If the game were coming out for the 2011 holiday season, we would have expected to see a release date attached to the trailer.

How do you feel about the trailer and the GTA series in general? Will you be picking up a copy when it’s released? Let us know in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

Buying it, probably on release. Looks like more of what everyone has come to love out of the GTA series.

The game looks great. Now all we need is a release date. I typed in http://gtav.com and its a website with information on grand theft auto 5. Is that rockstar games fan site for the game? They have some good details about GTA V. Anyways the graphics looked pretty good and it has me excited!!

So it's San Andreas. I was really hoping for Vice City, too bad. The first scene of the trailer was on the beach I immediately thought Vice City, oh well.

LOL...the first 2/3 of the trailer look more like "The Sims" than anything else. I'm a PC only gamer and we all know what pieces of crap the previous GTA ports were for the PC. Although I'm interested, I'll wait until it's been released for the PC and see what kind of reviews it gets.

I'll be waiting to read the PC reviews as well before buying. GTA4 was terrible on PC.

~resists overwhelming urge to condescend~

Cool trailer... we'll see how it turns out. I'm not a fan of the series per se, but have enjoyed the games for the most part.

Game has been in development for 3 years, probably going to see it mid/end 2012 or early/mid 2013.

forgot to add, STOKED! Can't wait for this, looking good although I hope driving wont be as terrible as GTAV.

GTA 4 was fine on PC, then again I did play it with a xbox for windows controller

cant wait for the new one! even though the trailer was poorly executed... in my opinion.

GTA IV ran horribly on PC. Pop-in, flickering, iffy shadows under overpasses specifically, choppy framerate at high detail... I'll wait for the reviews and forums before i touch this game.

The GTA games are some of, no wait, are the best games ever made. I will be, along with my best friend, waiting outside a Gamestop somewhere at the midnight launch for this, like I have with every one that has come out.

GTA 4 was perfect in every way and there isn't a doubt in my mind that 5 will top it in every way. Rockstar Games are legends!!

And honestly, who plays PC games that much anymore? I can't stand playing games on a PC. Nothing like the feel of a controller in the hands. Mouse and keyboards are just not a good quality gaming set up for me!

Guest said:
And honestly, who plays PC games that much anymore? I can't stand playing games on a PC. Nothing like the feel of a controller in the hands. Mouse and keyboards are just not a good quality gaming set up for me!

That's probably the saddest thing I've read in a while. Run along child...

"And honestly, who plays PC games that much anymore? I can't stand playing games on a PC. Nothing like the feel of a controller in the hands. Mouse and keyboards are just not a good quality gaming set up for me!"

LOL...well it's a good thing you have that sweet controller then and all the kids games that go along with it.

I think you guys took the troll-bait hook line and sinker.

Looking pretty nice, though I was secretly pining for a return to the eighties setting. Here's hoping it returns some of the mania and carnage that we all loved in Vice City and San Andreas.

I`d say a controller is better suited for the type of game GTA is, but then again it shouldn`t mean they simply have to port the game to PC and not polish it graphic wise or worse, terrible bugs as in IV.

I disagree with those who say GTA IV on the PC is crap. For me it was as playable as any other game with a few tweaks. The menu designs were spectacular and the graphics were a marvel to behold. But then again I'm a big GTA fan. I hope this one is released for the PC too.

4 was poorly ported that is for sure... but with at least 4 GB of RAM and some dedication and time spent on tweaking the game and your PC, you can get it to run well. It may not be worth the effort for some people, but it was for me. I really enjoyed the game, I played 114 hours according to Steam. I hope 5 will be as much fun but we'll see. I have rather specific tastes, I enjoyed the loose focus on realism.

I'm looking forward to a good pc game ported to be used on consoles, but then again I'm a dreamer.

Dear freaking god, those are the best graphics I have ever seen. At 360p i thought it was an advertisement filmed on a camera.

@ikesmasher: You must be a console player because those graphics aren't even close to ground breaking, they're just acceptable.

Back