Graphic card compatibility

By Thom81
Oct 26, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I am new here, and had a look for this question but couldn't see it so i apologise if you've seen it before..

I have just bought a new motherboard and processor and need a new graphics card to replace the rather slow onboard one.

my specs so far are:
    motherboard: GeForce7050M-M
    processor : AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core ~2.1GHz
    memory: 2gig ddr2

i have been looking at the ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB card but am unsure about compatibility issues?
    - The spec says it takes '2 slots', does this mean 2 pci-express slots or just the space that 2 would use? Also it needs 2 pcie power connections.. Which ones are these and how do i know when my power supply is 'full' (preferably before things start melting in there..)
    - It says it uses directx 10.. does that mean you need vista to run it?
    - it uses PCIexpress 2.0. all my motherboard manual says is that it has a 'PCI Express x16 graphics card slot'

thanks for listening, sorry if any of those questions are really stupid :)
  2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Two slots means that the fan is so big that the card will take up two slots, but the card will plug into a single PCI-E slot.

DirectX 10 will only come into play if you have Vista otherwise the card will use DirectX 9.0C

PCI express 2.0 is compatable with PCI-E 1.0. The first generation of PCI-E is so fast none of the newer video cards really need PCI-E 2. They simply are not fast enough to saturate the PCI-E 1.0 bus yet.

Your video card will need a high powered power supply with two six pin PCI-E plugs.

[​IMG]

Something like this.
  3. Thom81

Thom81 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks, thats great :)

i think i got lost somewhere along the way.. there used to be only 2 choices for graphics cards: 3dfx and nvidia.. ahh back in the day..
  4. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

No problem :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.