Graphic problems during gameplya after installing a new geforce 6600 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a new graphic card and installed it...everything was ok except when i put a game on...the game does not hang or anything but the colours sometimes get stretched across the screen from any object or there are chunks missing from the bodies of human bodies....
to resolve the problem i downloaded a newer version of driver and instlled it...that did not work either...
pls if someone knows what this problem is and how it can be resolved...please tell me.

well the first thing i would have said is drivers but you said you've done that

check the in game settings and make sure that acceleration is set to software and not hardware

what was your previous card?

i had a geforce 5500...i tried the acceleration thing too...i could not find the acceleration option in the in game options however i changed the driver settings through the software...it did not work either

This sounds like typical artifacting resulting from either the video card overheating or drivers. It can be the game too. What game are you trying to play? Try patching it with the latest patch. This should most likely fix the problem. If that doesn't do anything, check the GPU temperature through the NVIDIA Control Panel while running the game (ALT-TAB out of the game to check this) and tell me what temperature you see.

i've played those games before in my computer...it never happened before!!!!
i know there is some problem with the gaphic card....
however, to satisfy you, i am playing GTA SanAndreas, Command and Conqurer etc...
there is just one game which is working alright...Counter Strike

It can only be artifacting due to overheating in that case. CS doesn't require too much high-power hardware to run, so no surprise there. But when the graphics card is put to work, the GPU starts getting hotter since the heatsink is probably screwed or clogged with dust. Take a look at the NVIDIA Control Panel and see the temperature when you're playing GTA:SA. If it's high (above 60C) when playing the game, then your heatsink is probably clogged and cleaning it out will solve your problem (look at the link in my signature for instructions on that). If that doesn't help, then it's probably time to get a new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back