TechSpot

Graphics card and D-sub lead

By tessmax
Feb 21, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi all tessmax here i want to put a graphics card in my pc,but i am unsure what to do with the d-sub lead?do i leave it were it is or connect it to the graphics card,my current graphics are on the motherboard,and i am new at this so dont want to mess up before i even get started,any advice would be welcome

2. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd TS Rookie Posts: 238

plug the d-sub in the corresponding port of the graphics card, not the motherboard!

3. tessmax

tessmax TS Rookie Topic Starter

HI FoReWoRd,thanks for that,i know it might seem a daft question but i was just not sure,and did not want to do any damage,appreciate your help,,tessmax

4. FoReWoRd

it's ok man just contact me if you have more problems...

5. tessmax

thanks FoReWoRd, I do have have another concern you may be able to help me with,do i do anything about the onboard graphic,s when i move to a graphic's card,hopeing to get one this week,,was thinking a 256mb? i have two slots a pci slot and a agp slot any difference which i use?,but like i say my real concern is what i do (if anything) about the onboard graphic's when i change,i know sometimes things can conflict so any idea's you have would be welcome,,thanks tessmax

6. FoReWoRd

im a little unclear on the details of the problem, but i think you want a buy a new card, preferably you should use the agp slot, i would reccomend this for DX10 if you plan to upgrade to vista(slowest): http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB AGP ?productId=33233
    this if you have a higher budget(Best perf out of the 3): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-173-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=403
    or this if you want direct x9 (this won't last very long but if you are a serious nvidia fan then this might be the best option in the uk, 2nd fastest): http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp... GeForce 7900GS 256MB AGP 8x ?productId=33056

usually you can set the motherboard to disable the onboard video or some of the newer ones automatically detect it.

these are all uk sites coz i know horwich is in the uk :p

if you can find any better card on other sites then this is wot i would recomend

HD3850
    HD3650
    HD2600XT
    7900gs/gt (slightly older dx9)

7. tessmax

hi FoReWoRd
    thanks again appreciate your advice,i am more sure of what i am doing do so hopefully wont hit any snags,,many thanks will post again and let you know how i get on
    tessmax

8. FoReWoRd

don't hesitate to ask man

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.