TechSpot

Graphics card and gaming

By MrSpiff
Jul 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Was this a good Upgrade, and can I fix it?

I just upgraded my video card from a Radeon 9600se to a GeForce 6600GT, and I was hoping to see some improvement in my gaming. (frame rates and such). When I got everything installed I only noticed a slight frame rate difference (about 12-14 above my other one) and I still can notice the skipping even if my graphics arent set the the full amount. I was wondering if it had anything to do with my processor (Athlon XP 2200+) and/or my RAM (512 Dual Channel Kingston, DDR 400)?
  2. deano3041

deano3041 TS Rookie Posts: 66

it could be your cpu

personally i think it is your cpu i have a friend that recently upgraded from a geforce 2 32mb to a 6600Gt and sees no lag in any games he also has dual channel 512 as do u but he has a 2800+ so if u are lookin for better performance up your cpu
  3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I have a 6600gt and when I'd play bf1942 with 512mb it would stutter a little, due to having to access the hd since it wasn't enough ram. I got 1gb now and it runs much better.
  4. Richscd2

Richscd2 TS Rookie

I would think your cpu is bottlenecking your whole system...athlon xp 2200 runs at 266mhz fsb which limits your ram to 266mhz as well.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.