Prashanth0006

I have a pc with the flg specs:

Phenom II X6 1090T
M4A88-EM/1394 motherboard
Seagate 1TB+500GB+500GB HDD
Transcend DDR2 800 6GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W psu

My Current graphic card is xfx radeon hd 4670 1gb. I'm planning to buy a graphic card that replaces my current one. I can't decide which one to buy. My budget is 8000INR(approx 135USD). I play games like need for speed series( hot pursuit 2, the run), Just Cause 2, AC brotherhood etc. I need a card that could be able to run these games on med-high settings(probably not extreme settings ). My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 2033 19.5" @ 1600x900 resolution. I think the games can smoother at this resolution. I've looked the radeon 7770 card. It is nice and has some power for my requirements. But it''s price is bit high in India(~10000INR). So suggest me a card that would be running the games(incl latest) on med-high settings on my native resolution.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with either the 7770 or 6850, Nvidia don't have great cards at that price point.

Then I'd say save up a bit... you have 8000 INR already so 10000 isn't too much more. You'll probably end up disappointed if you got a lower end card because they're not great value, whereas the 7770 will easily play all your games at your resolution.

Okay for that. But, are there any alternatives to this card with similar performance(or a bit lower) with a bit low price??

Will this card require a separate 6 pin connector from psu or we can use the 4pin(ide one) to 6 pin converter?

Well you see that's the problem... there's not really any cards with slightly lower performance and price. The GTX 550Ti is poor value for money compared to the 7770, the GTS 450 and 6670 are just too slow. Maybe you can try looking for a 7750, I haven't seen many of those on sale but it's basically a cheaper version of the 7770.

if I may interject, I'm using a Gigabyte 550Ti alongside an AMD FX-6100, and I can run BF3 on medium settings at around 30-40 FPS on 1920x1080p. Crysis 2, Skyrim, and MW3 also run nice and fast on medium/high settings. The card reaches 65 degrees Celsius under load, and idles around 28-30. (this is in a corsair carbide 400r, with additional fans, and an ambient room temperature of 20 degrees celcius.
Also, the 550ti only requires one 6-pin power connector.
I understand the HD7770 Performs around the same as a GTX560, so it will do marginally better than a 550ti. However if OP is just running games like NFS and AC, then the 550ti should be able to handle them with ease. Plus, it is within his budget. (I paid $115)
So I would go with the 550Ti unless you plan to start playing some more demanding games on high settings.
Hope I helped :)

I understand the HD7770 Performs around the same as a GTX560, so it will do marginally better than a 550ti.
The 7770 is actually quite a bit faster than a 550Ti, around 20% faster. In the UK they're actually almost the same price (£90 vs £85) so the 7770 is a no brainer over the 550Ti. Obviously prices elsewhere might be different but just having a quick look on Newegg, it seems prices in the US are also pretty similar between the two.

The 7770 is actually quite a bit faster than a 550Ti, around 20% faster. In the UK they're actually almost the same price (£90 vs £85) so the 7770 is a no brainer over the 550Ti. Obviously prices elsewhere might be different but just having a quick look on Newegg, it seems prices in the US are also pretty similar between the two.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. in Aus, the 550ti I got was $115, whereas the 7770 was around $35 more, and since I was on a tight budget I figured I'd go with the NVIDIA option. However, If prices are more competitive wherever the OP is, then certainly go with the 7770.

The 7750 card perfectly fits my budget. It's 7800INR here. When the performance per watt is considered, which card wins between 6790, 7750 and 7770??

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. in Aus, the 550ti I got was $115, whereas the 7770 was around $35 more, and since I was on a tight budget I figured I'd go with the NVIDIA option. However, If prices are more competitive wherever the OP is, then certainly go with the 7770.
Yeah, AMD cut their prices recently.

The 7750 card perfectly fits my budget. It's 7800INR here. When the performance per watt is considered, which card wins between 6790, 7750 and 7770??
Performance per watt is going to be very similar, maybe only a few watts between them.

Is it worth buying the 6790 or 6770 cards? They fit in my budget where as the for getting the 7770, I've to wait some more time(may be 2months) to adjust the money... Pls give me the final judgement whether it is worth buying 67xx cards or the 7770 card?

you'd definitely want to go with the 7770. it's faster, very good price for performance ratio, and the architecture is AMD's newest (22nm). Just work hard, save up a little extra money, and spend it on the 7770. You'd be happier with it in the long run.

Get a nVidia 550 1GB, even though 2GB would be better. Yeah but a 7770 is fine, but the 128 memory bus isnt too useful,but at that price point it is fine. The 640 isnt as powerful as the 7770 because it uses pci power not from the psu

The 640 isnt as powerful as the 7770 because it uses pci power not from the psu
Power sources do not dictate how much power a card will consume. The cards power requirement will dictate the size of the power source needed. An additional power connector is added to a card when a cards power requirement is larger than what a card slot can provide.

Okay guys, I've decided to go with the 7770 card. I've a doubt that if the PSU donot contain the 6-pin power connector (only 4- pin connectors present) and the card comes with a 4pin to 6pin molex adapter, does the connector cable does the job??

For example, if I've any 450W Zebronics PSU and it don't contain a 6pin power cable, does the supplied molex adapter work fine??

What is the power requirement for this card??

I've never heard of Zebronics but any half-decent PSU will have at least one 6 pin PCI-E connector. If not then the molex adapters will work fine.

A good 450W PSU will be fine but I would be skeptical of one which doesn't even have any PCI-E connectors.

Back