Graphics Card/Display Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukulika

Just ran into a bit of a problem with my PC. I was working on Ubuntu and then restarted my system to log into windows. As soon as I did that, and the machine restarted, the screen was filled with dashed line at regular intervals (pretty much like stripes). Only the Grub Loading page was normal. Once it got past the Windows loading screen, I couldn't see anything barring sort of a scrambled screen (don't really know how to describe it better). I restarted, booted into the safe mode, but the same thing happened. Only from the safe mode could I switch off the computer normally. I removed my graphics card, changed BIOS Settings to "Internal VGA", plugged my monitor into my motherboard VGA slot and the computer started up fine. Just that it makes an awful lot of noise now, especially after half an hour of switching it on. Can't really make out what the matter is. Is it just the Graphics Card that has conked out, or is it something else? Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX
RAM: 1 X 1GB (Transcend DDR2 667)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA XFX 7600GT
Processor: Intel D

Most likely your card... all that you describe makes that the most common possibility.

Is there anything that can be done about it? Also, now that I've taken out the card, why does it make so much noise? It never used to. Is something else the matter with it as well?

Someone told me that the memory chips on my card are conked out, hence the problem, but display chips are working fine supposedly. Can anybody help me out on this? Does this problem happen and is this the diagnosis for the problem I described? Thanks in advance.

Did the person who told you know anything about technology or computer service and repair?

The memory chips are the last thing to go... but there are lots of other problems with the hardware on video cards than can result in serious problems.

Yes, he's the computer guy who set up my system in the first place. But he didn't run any tests on it. If that is the case, can the card be repaired? I was foolish enough not to register my card when I had bought it. So I really have no clue as to what I should do. Is the only thing I can do is to give it an elaborate funeral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back