TechSpot

Graphics card doesn't fit backplate but fits in PCI Express slot

By Deery50
Apr 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. This was really perplexing. I am trying to install a Galaxy GT520 on my Inspiron 546. So i take of the slot i need in the back-plate and fit the card into the slot. But...the card didn't fit into the back-plate. It's like a millimeter off.... There is a little slot that the back-plate slots go into but it doesn't fit into the slot. It's almost like it needs to be a millimeter longer. Thanks to anyone who helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oscar1987

oscar1987 TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

3. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

Do you have the brass standoffs installed on your cases mobo tray?

4. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

Is the tongue at the bottom of the card's back plate too wide for the slot, or is it that the slot is not deep enough to accommodate the tongue? If the latter, maybe the mobo is too low (and I've just realised that's probably what Buckshot was driving at, but I'm a bit slow!:oops: )

5. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Maybe if you loosened the motherboard screws a little and then tried to put the video card in place you might have more luck. It sounds like the lower tongue of the video card is sitting on the motherboard instead of in the gap between the motherboard and case.

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

Or possibly the lower tongue is bent just a bit too far in to fit into the gap. If so, loosening the motherboard as Cinders suggested could do it or maybe you need to straighten it just enough to clear the motherboard.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.