Graphics card getting too hot

hey guys my graphic card is nvidia geforce gtx 550 Ti amp and its casing is manufactured by zotac. When i play call of duty black ops on 1920 x 1080. My pc get off within 20 minutes. while playing game i checked the temperature of my card after 10 min it was 74 C. what should i do. should i make some changes in pcie frequency or what should i do. i have 120mm fan installed in my pc case.

List your full specs please, including the make model of your PSU please.
also, what temps is your CPU running under load? and if you are OCing anything.
lets start there.

dear red1176
my system specs are
ram : corsair 4gb venegence 1600mhz
processor : amd phenom ii x4 955 black edition
graphic card : nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti by zotac and factory overclocked
motherboard : msi 890gxm g65
psu : cooler master gx 550w
pc case : cooler master elite 430 with one 120mm fan

please reply urgently

what temp is your CPU running when this happens? if its exceeeding the thermal threshold set in the bios, it can shut down.

when you you say "pc shuts down" do you mean screen goes black?, or the machine powers off completely?
if it just powers down/shuts down, I agree with Klepto and think you need to look at your PSU.

It looks like he means his core temperature is 74. Well that would at least make more sense. Yeah your psu might be slowly killing your whole setup. If you want to eliminate heat as the cause, open your case and point a household fan at your computer. Keep it about 3 feet away though because the fan uses a magnetic motor. Also as always update your windows and video card drivers.

I think its your psu, Id find a computer shop that will let you try out a psu. Buy one and if it doesn't work return it. I would not tell them why you were buying it though, just make sure about there return policy.

As much as I'd like to agree that this is a power problem...

His PSU is rated for 44amps on the 12 volt rail. The GTX 550 Ti only needs 24Amps.

Unless your psu has a hardware problem, I don't think this is causing your shutdowns.

Maybe the CPU is overheating? I don't know much about the newer AMD procs.. but my older AMD was quite toasty...

Shobi;1063219]As much as I'd like to agree that this is a power problem...

His PSU is rated for 44amps on the 12 volt rail. The GTX 550 Ti only needs 24Amps.

Unless your psu has a hardware problem, I don't think this is causing your shutdowns.

That was the point, if its having problems, dying, or overtaxed..shutting down when going into a heavy load situation (3D mode) can be a symptom of trying to draw more power than is available
Maybe the CPU is overheating? I don't know much about the newer AMD procs.. but my older AMD was quite toasty..

74c is well within spec (actually a good temp for load situation) If its shutting down because its hitting 74C, something else is going on.

@ Mili, you did not say if you are OC'ing that x4 955. That thing can draw a lot of additional power if its heavily OC'ed

Thanks to all of you guys, now my pc is working correctly at full resolution. it was a problem with psu its fan was jammed so fixed it and it becomes all right. :)

Back