Graphics card, monitor or just cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olja

I don’t know how better to explain than with pics:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7059/p1010125rgb.jpg
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3509/p1010126c.jpg

When I started my pc that’s waht I got. I checked the cables and saw that the one from the monitor was loose – the thingy on pc was actually loose. I am actually missing one of these little ones, and the other one got loose:

skruv.jpg

I tightened it – same thing.
Bought new ones – same thing!
What can be the problem? The contact or something just died on me?

Thx in advance!

Those are just screw anchors, and one or more may be stripped. They have no bearing on electrical or video problems except to keep the video cable connected and secure. Looks like the computers video card is dieing... besides the stripped screws. Try another monitor to be sure

I really thought that the cables were the problem because I couldn't, and I still can't believe that nVidia's card wouldn't last even for two years. Ok, maybe not the best one (GeForce 6200, 256MB) but still, I thought it would last a bit longer, considering the fact that I'm not playing any demanding games or something like that…

Anyway, thank you both for your help, it means a lot to hear it from someone who understands it all much better than I do (obviously I don't so much since I managed to buy such a poor graphic card, lol)

Reseat the card and check again.. If you have checked another monitor and it stills shows up during post (the very first thing you see when starting the computer) then its going to end up being a bad card.. Had an nvidia card a couple months ago that died the same way..

Me, again, lol!
I am really confused. The problem with monitor/g.card comes and goes! Sometimes I can without any problems turn the pc on, have it on all day… nothing wrong with it. But then sometimes when I turn it on – the same problem as on the pictures.
So what? Graphic card works from time to time? Is it really only that?

In the meantime I managed to buy the wrong graphic card (forgot all about ddr, ddr2, lol), got annoyed with the whole business and since it’s not the primary computer I’m using I just let it be. When it works – ok, when not – ok.
But now another problem – my usb ports are not working.
I read a little bit on the net about possible solutions and in the end decided to reinstall XP. Seemed easier. But even that wouldn’t work as it should so I gave up.

So, finally to my question:

Monitor working and not (as on the pics), usb ports not working, clean XP install not working… IS it a graphic card issue or is it possible that something else is the problem?
My plan is to de-install graphic card today and try to install XP but I really wonder can there be another problem? Maybe main board, power supply or something like that?

Sorry for such a long post guys!

P.S. I don’t have the possibility of checking different monitors with the graphic card I have.

Well, I’ve tried it and installation still doesn’t work. It just stops somewhere in the beginning. It just “freezes” so I can’t choose any option and all I can do is to turn it off.
There is something seriously wrong I think since I’ve de-installed graphic card and that’s not the reason for installation of XP not to work.

Help please, I’m losing my nerves here :D

Hoping someone will help eventually… :)

Googling, trying this and that, and I came up with another conspiracy theory, lol!

When I try to reinstall XP (with or without graphic card installed) it either freezes or I get suggestions on what to do:
- Check the space (I have enough)
- Try to change graphic card
- BIOS update
- hard drive correctly configured
Since I have not installed anything new and haven’t been messing with anything I don’t think that its something from the list.

But, I get error message too:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF77AE39E, 0xF7391988, 0x00000000)
*** setupdd.sys – Adress F77AE39E base at F7793000, Datestamp 41107c8f

I searched the net for a solution and come up with a bunch of topics and almost same solutions – bad memory.

My question now is – can a bad memory stick cause the other problems – the issues with the monitor, usb ports not working?

I hope someone will help me soon or my pc is going out of the window :D

Well, if makes you feel any better, I've seen bad memory cause some similar visual artifacting.

Your non-working USB ports sound weird, but you have to keep an open mind - memory problems can manifest themselves in just about every way imaginable because nearly everything your computer does uses your RAM in some way. I'm less inclined to believe this a result of failing memory though.. There is probably a separate issue or part of a much larger issue, like a bad system board.

Given the intermittency and diversity of your issues, I would give your system board and power supply some serious consideration as well.

Ouch!
If that’s the case than I have no other solution than to take the pc to the professionals.
I’ve never changed system board and even though I might succeed, it’s not something I would gladly do. And to be honest, with all compatibility one has to think about, different models, different performances...no way I could do it.

If there are really several issues, if I need to change system board, memory, maybe graphic card… I think my bill will end up on a couple of hundred of Euros so in the end, better to buy a new one.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Me again. Lol!
I am forced to fix this myself…
I decided to try first with new memory so I have one, maybe stupid question:
I have 2 x 512 MB DDR400 memory sticks.
Can I change them both with 2x 1Gb memory sticks?
I mean, I’ll have double as much memory – I can do that, without thinking about any compatibility with other components? Nothing else will die because so much memory, right? :D
Kingston has a really nice offer for two memory stick pack so I thought of using it :)

Thx in advance and sorry for asking stupid questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back