Graphics card OC, now temps won't go down

xcylent

Hey all.
So I have a GTX550Ti, and I was running BF3 earlier today and I thought "why not OC it a but to kick some speed into the game"
so I did a little overclock in MSI afterburner (from 900MHz Core to 1000Mhz, and 2050MHz memory to 2150Mhz) and the performance was great, I played Bf3 for around 4 hours before finally getting bored. During that time, the card was completely stable at around 65 degrees celcius constantly.
anyway, since I wasn't playing anymore, I decided to un-overclock my card so that it's not so hot anymore while idle.
So I reset the speeds in MSI afterburner, and reset the settings in the NVIDIA control panel, but the card is still idling around 45 degrees? (and this is with all fans at maximum speed)

I don't understand, I undid the overclock, and I reset all the card speeds, yet I'm still getting idle temps 15 degrees higher than normal.

any info would be appreciated!

As far as AMDs are concerned, screwed up temp readings are not unusual, but never heard of an Nvidia case. Are you sure the cooling systems are fully functional? Had you changed the voltages?

Did you enable maximum performance in power management mode in nvidia control panel?

This can make quite a diffrence in idle temps if you had it disabled before.

I had set all the settings back to the way before.
anyway, nothing fixed it so I ended up re-installing drivers. It's all OK now.
even then, im still confused as to why that happened.

Ask me, I'd say 45C is a chilly temp for that GPU.
My Powercolor GoGreen! PCS Radeon HD 5450 idles at 50C. 650 MHz core, 800 MHz DDR3.
I guess you can be satisfied now. ;)
What were your idle and load temps before the first OC?

well everything is fixed now so I'm happy.
and before that idle temps were 28-30 degrees, and load was 60.

Back