Graphics card possibly broken, not sure how to check

By Ripebear
Dec 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Here's my situation.

I have had this rig for about 4 years, so it's not unlikely the card is fried but here's my dilemma.

I just reinstalled windows 7 so I could play Star Wars: The old republic.

Everything was working fine until today I logged in and suddenly when playing the game became unplayable due to low fps. I was playing very smoothly on max settings before this for a week.

System specs are:

WIndows 7 ultimate
    Radeon HD 4870
    4 GB Corsair DDR2
    Abit I35 Pro MB
    500 GB HDD

Even on the game when I put it to lowest settings it doesn't increase the FPS.

How can I test it to find out what the problem is or even to find out if it's broken?

I plan to reinstall windows as a last resort.

I also did a stress test on Counter Strike: Source not long ago, and got 280 FPS on everything maxed, so I'm going to try that again and see what my results are. I got an average of 12 FPS on furmark with 1280/1024 full screen which gave me an overall score of 770. The website scores my card way above that so I'm not sure what to do.

I have updated drivers.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

With that many miles on it, I would just change out now... you will quickly see that nothing lasts for ever.
  3. Jawshh

Jawshh TS Enthusiast Posts: 392

Did you install the latest drivers from You can also try to install the Application profiles. It's available on the same page.
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Try your video card in a friend's machine. Four years is a LOT of time on a Radeon HD 4870... if used very often... bit only you can assess over use. Look for a new card online on the 23 or 24, or buy the week after Christmas.