TechSpot

Graphics card stops working after windows logo

By MrCameroon
Mar 29, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Computer has been slowing down recently and blue screening every so often so I decided it was time to reformat my HD, went ahead and did that and also reinstalled windows 8.1 with a hope of fixing it.

Booted my computer, worked very well and fast, 20 minutes into the session the computer froze up and my display died, I could still hear audio just no visuals. I restarted my PC only to be met by missing pixels on my 'Gigabyte' screen and after that I just had a black screen with random colours literally 5 or 6 1 pixel thick lines. I went inside my computer and looked for lose connections but there were none.

At this point I decided to reinstall windows again with a desperate hope of that fixing it, and it did! for 20 minutes and it crashed again and just restarted the process.

Just FYI:
    -I didn't change any hardware or software before this started happening
    -Have tried to update drivers but can't do that in Safe mode and I cannot get onto normal mode
    -I can boot into normal mode with my Motherboards internal graphics BUT my graphics card has to be unplugged or it wont let me.

SPECS:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16365 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907626 MB, Free - 1863028 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-78LMT-USB3
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

Tinkerer's opinion - heat related failure in video card.

If card is no longer in warranty, I would remove shielding, shroud, fan, heatsink - clean them all and reassemble with fresh paste
    If still IN WARRANTY, I would take canned air and blow out the fan and exchanger area while holding the fan.

Then I would try the card in my system again.

If still issues, I would confirm system is good by using a known good video card - and then I would replace the faulty video card.

bazz2004 likes this.
  3. MrCameroon

MrCameroon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Surely if it was a heat related issue the card would work to the same extent every time. It slowly seems to degrade each time I turn it on until it just wont boot anymore.

4. Cycloid Torus

You did say that it ran 20 mins then died. If dead now it may have cooked.

5. MrCameroon

But if I reinstall windows, it will be fine for another 20. And I can continue to do that over and over again.

6. Cycloid Torus

Experiment and take careful notes... share the observations...use google and review articles and advice about issues.

Since Windows 10 does not come with a deadman switch, my guess is heat related issue with video card.

Download HWInfo and monitor temps (might watch voltages too) on sensor history page - report ranges.

Google: "black screen with random color lines"

7. MrCameroon

Computer gets to the windows loading symbol, after, a black screen appears with a few coloured pixels for around 5 seconds then restarts.

Reinstalled windows:

1st boot - Computer boots up fine with GPU plugged in, text a little fuzzy (not sure if its windows 8.1 or my GPU). It runs fine, 20 mins in the computer freezes and restarts.

2nd boot - The Computer does the same this time only running for 10 minutes

3rd boot - Computer gets to the windows loading symbol, after a black, screen appears with a few coloured pixels for around 5 seconds then restarts.

Unplugged the GPU and plugged the VGA into the Motherboard:

1st boot - Computer boots fine and runs perfectly on internal graphics, text still fuzzy.

Plugging my VGA cable into the Motherboard whilst GPU is still plugged in:

1st boot - Computer refuses to recognise that there is something plugged into the VGA slot of the motherboard, nothing happens on the monitor.

8. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

It certainly sounds like the graphics card is nearly dead so I can't see any logic behind reinstalling Windows. I've had to replace more graphics cards in my computers than any other item. Unless you are a games fanatic it's a pretty cheap job.

9. Cycloid Torus

Since broken with video card and not broken with no video card - Occam says 'problem is video card'.

10. MrCameroon

Is it normal for the graphics card to work each time I reinstall windows though? Like it basically gives me 20 minutes of perfect browsing each time I reinstall.

11. Cycloid Torus

If out of warranty:

12. Cycloid Torus

IMHO, yes. Install uses a static screen - little activity for video card. The install may 'rest' the video card - make it cooler. If video card fan is dead OR full of dust OR a heatsink mount is broken, it would run a bit and then crash. Try another fan blowing on video card, see if it takes longer to crash.

13. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

Well if you are happy continue to reinstall Windows daily for 20 mins computer time. Myself, I'm not a fan of reinstalling Windows and it would be about my last choice.