TechSpot

Graphics Card Upgrade

By lcfctom
Dec 8, 2003
  1. Hi guys, new to these forums hope you can help.

I have an e-machines e170 with a Celeron 1.7ghz processor 384mb of DDR Ram and onboard Intel(r) 82845g/gl graphics controller. I'm looking to extend the gaming capacity of my machine by installing a 128mb graphics card

I'm told i need a PCI graphics card for this machine.

I would like to do a DIY install and wonder if anyone can help re disableing the onoard ie where will i find the jumpers or can it be done through BIOS?

Also any good web sites for newbie PC upgraders??

thnx

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

The easiest way to disable the onboard video is thru the Bios. enter the bios and disable " onboard video"

as for sites you can check this one out

http://www.hardwareguys.com/

3. joay

joay TS Rookie

4. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

most boards with on board graphics dont have agp slots.

5. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 246

Don't expect any miracles as PCI graphics cards aren't exactly top for gaming unless you want it for something else. Even so PCI graphics cards are rare brand new. Old; really old PCI cards are your best bet.

I still can't believe people buy E-Machines. I know of a person who just bought on e a few weeks ago; keep in mind she doesn't use it for gaming so anything else should be fine.

6. UncleGemboel

UncleGemboel TS Rookie Posts: 47

Yeah PCI card doesnt make big performance boost for your machine, i advice you to get a mobo with agp slot and upgrade your vga, trust me pci card now very rare and only have very old model which mean it can't provide power to play recent game at top quality and speed.

but it's up to you to decide.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.